Hello from Michigan!

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
bbarbre72

Hello from Michigan!

Post by bbarbre72 »

Wanted to stop in and introduce myself and thank the administrators\creator of this site! Thanks for a great source of information, and a very convenient tool while I restore my new\classic toy!

My name is Brian. I just recently acquired me a '66. I have wanted a bug to restore for many years and this one kinda fell into my lap. I couldn't pass it up. It has seen some upgrades and modifications so I have some investigating to do to see if the engine is original and the actual manufacturing date of the body. The front fenders don't have the turn signals, they are contained in the headlamps. I think I want to go back to the original design though. Somebody partially converted it from 6 volt to 12 volt, but I am not convinced they new what they were doing. The only thing electrical that actually works right now is that the engine will start. I am considering the purchase of a whole new wire harness for the entire car because it is a serious rats nest right now. I have an aircraft electronics\electrical background and am amazed at how messed up the current harness is with splices and wire nuts.

I look forward to chatting with some of you to get ideas as my project progresses. But for now, let the tear down begin!
Attachments
Front\Side picture.
Front\Side picture.
VWBug_Forum2.JPG (29.22 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
My 1966 project.
My 1966 project.
VWBug_Forum1.JPG (29.21 KiB) Viewed 1739 times
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Brian! Welcome to the forum! With your background the wiring shold be a snap! Mice can do a lot of damage to the wiring, sometimes previous owners can be just as bad :lol: