Ignition trouble, PLEASE HELP

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

scrappy06

Ignition trouble, PLEASE HELP

Post by scrappy06 »

New to site, just aquired a 66 bug, it is 1300cc 6volt system. The car has sat inside for the last 5yrs, it turns over but does not fire. I have installed new battery, coil, points, plugs, plug wires, rotor and cap. I attached the wires back on coil the same way they were, green for condensor to negative terminal, and on positive terminal a white, black, and red wire, is this correct? I checked for spark and am getting none, checked the wires and the red wire on postive side of coil is not connected to any thing, it just goes thru same gromet the battery cable goes thru to the starter and hangs there? Any ideas? also has new gas and new fuel filter and is getting gas to carb. It last ran 5yrs ago, but not sure about the 3 wires on positive side of coil with the red one not connected to anything at the other end. Hope to find a answer here, was told best site for 66 beetles. Thanks. Mark
Attachments
66 bug engine.jpg
66 bug engine.jpg (8.95 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
bkrome

Post by bkrome »

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/inf ... /bug66.jpg

check grounds / check for continuity from fuse box to distributor
scrappy06

Post by scrappy06 »

Ok, will check what you listed, thanks for the advice bkrome, will get back later today and let you know if that was it.
scrappy06

Post by scrappy06 »

Cleaned grounds, checked for continuity all is good, reset points and timming, still nothing just turns over but no spark, pulled coil wire to check for spark and is getting none, have tried 2 different coils that work on other cars. any other ideas? Can I run a wire from battery to togo switch and back to coil to get power there? or from starter to coil to get it power? hope to get it going soon to enjoy rest of summer, everything else is working as it should on the car. Stumped?????
scrappy06

Post by scrappy06 »

Red wire problem solved.