Winshield size the same as other years?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

VWICHOL

Winshield size the same as other years?

Post by VWICHOL »

Hello, the windshield on my 66 is broken, I would like to get a OG one but do not know if it is a special size since I know 65 and back are smaller.

Does anyone knows if 66 onwards is the same size?

Thank´s to all and your answers!

Luis
Mexico City, Mexico
bkrome

Post by bkrome »

need a new one myself too...
from what i can find out 65-77 were the same...
which seems wrong to me...

i thought it was 65-69 but not sure... really tempted to grab tape measure and run out to cars to check...
VWICHOL

Post by VWICHOL »

bkrome wrote:need a new one myself too...
from what i can find out 65-77 were the same...
which seems wrong to me...

i thought it was 65-69 but not sure... really tempted to grab tape measure and run out to cars to check...
I thought the same about measure cars around!!, jejeje

I have been told and also read in other place about someone who put a pre 65 winshiled on its 66, it looked to be fine but ALWAYS had a water leak and the matter was the 65 is some mm smaller!

If you need a NEW winshield for your 66 here in Mexico City you can find it very easy BUT is NOT ORIGINAL.

I´m looking for an original in good shape.

Regards

Luis
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

'65-78 NON SUPER BEETLE windshields are the same. I know my local PPG store stocks them, and I'm sure most glass places can special order. Every FLAPS here stocks them or can get them in. In the neighborhood of a hundred - 125 bucks. I carry full glass on mine because AZ highways are the natural habitat of random rocks and insects that seem to be made of solid steel, so mine gets replaced at least once a year with zero out of my pocket. I suggest the dark smoked ones, especially if your visors are shabby.
VWICHOL

Post by VWICHOL »

fatalifeaten wrote:'65-78 NON SUPER BEETLE windshields are the same. I know my local PPG store stocks them, and I'm sure most glass places can special order. Every FLAPS here stocks them or can get them in. In the neighborhood of a hundred - 125 bucks. I carry full glass on mine because AZ highways are the natural habitat of random rocks and insects that seem to be made of solid steel, so mine gets replaced at least once a year with zero out of my pocket. I suggest the dark smoked ones, especially if your visors are shabby.
Thank´s so much for your answer, it will be very helpful!!
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Never assume cars sold in other countries were the same as those sold here. Cars built in Mexico were different from those built in Germany, and were produced with the smaller glass for several more years.

Why don't you post a photo of your car and we will tell you what year glass will fit.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

^^^^ Good point there BB. :)