'66 standard from Romania

Here's the spot to show off your 1966 Beetle Restoration projects
Paolo Dal Chiele

Post by Paolo Dal Chiele »

Works in progress: body 1
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paolo Dal Chiele

Works in progress: body 2
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paolo Dal Chiele

Works in progress: engine

I hope to ride the car next summer ....
Paolo Dal Chiele

Body works completed.
Paolo Dal Chiele

Few words about the birth certificate.
I expected the car to be produced in the very early days of August 1965, to be a 66 m.y. (as confirmed by the ball joints front axle) and the birth certificate to confirm it.
The only doubt was about some details that are typical of earlier car, such as the lack of the third windshield vent, that could be easily explained supposing that during the first days of production some earlier body were still available at the factory.
In fact, the certificate confirmed a completely different story: the car left the factory on August 02nd, 1965 as expected, but it was produced almost one month before, on July 08.
The means that the production date of engines and chassis I have found in literature are wrong. My car is consequently a "factory hybrid", half 66 (the chassis) and half 65 (the body), and confirm that shifting from one model year to the following was not a "one day event".