m240

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Elango Velautham

m240

Post by Elango Velautham »

Hi there,

anyone knows if there's a 67 site? or can I post in 66 forums too? close enough..

I bought a 67 bug but the old engine is busted completely... Engine no starts with E. literature says it is m240 low compression engine. anyone knows whre to get such engines?

Thanks...
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

40 horse. Parts aren't easy to find for those. May be easier to source parts for a 1600 and rebuild it, reusing anything from your existing engine that is in good shape. Can you turn it over by hand? (IE is it locked / rusted up) What have you done to try and get it started? Have you replaced anything? May be a good engine that just needs some small parts to bring it back to life...
Elango Velautham

Post by Elango Velautham »

there,

Thanks, the engine ran, but the crank shaft pulley moved back and forth by almost half inch free play!! I opened it up, but the crank case surfaces that house the main bearings and even the camshaft shells were worn out oval!! Just trying my luck in case there are some used engines out there with the E suffix.......... sigh. I was advised against re-boring the case, as the high cost involved would not produce the precision-expected output.
Let me know, if an M240 with and E crosses your paths.....
Thanks again..