Attending California car show at Pomona June 4th.

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

motorheadkev

Attending California car show at Pomona June 4th.

Post by motorheadkev »

I ready, in spite of what my wife says, I flying out to the California to visit a friend and while I’m there I’ll visit the Pomona car show on the 4th of June. I was told there were at least 50 beetles for sale at the last show April 9th.

My intention is to find another 66 Beetle like the one I had. Well, not like the one I had, I’d prefer a lot less rust.
I’ve been researching a few rebuild manuals to refresh my memory.
OK, check under the battery, under the spare tire, front of rear wheel wells, front door posts, etc, etc, etc,

Thanks to this web site I have a very good reference for information.

I'm reching out for any suggestions on any options or what to look for on the beetle.

Much appreciation.

Thanks

Kevin G
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Kev - Good luck with the car show. I'd look behind the running boards and also look under the hoods at the lips on the undersides to make sure they are not rotted away. Also look at the door hinges on the outside of the doors to see if they have been sprung. Make sure the front hood lines up well on both sides (no large gaps). Take the spare tire out and look at both sides of the spare tire well to determine if it has been in a front end accident. Look behind the gas tank where the mounting bolts are and make sure that there are no stress crack (a sign of a side collision). Those are a few of the other things I look for (and floor pans of course). Good luck! John
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I wish I could go! :cry: don't forget to check front and rear glass seals signs of bubbled paint where some nasty rust can appear and pastwater infiltration. Have Fun :cry:
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
empiracer1966

Post by empiracer1966 »

Hey, Kevin! If you are lookin at a sunroof car, be sure to check out the the sunroof drain areas. ie, the common area for rust, in the lower door hinge area as well as the lower front quarter panels just above the heater channels. The drains exit the body just behind the running boards. MAKE SURE THESE DRAIN TUBES ARE CLEAR for this appears to be the root cause of the rust. Mine is/was also rusted in the head liner area where the drains start in the sunroof storage pan area where the drain tubes attatch. Mine was rusted out through the roof as well as the common area of the rear window where the "foam" sound deadening stuff was at. I just found out all this good news this past Wednesday when I picked mine up from being plastic media blasted!

Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

OUCH! Brian - What now? Do you look for a new roof panel?
empiracer1966

Post by empiracer1966 »

Im gonna wait to see what my body man says...the roof will be an easy fix, its the sunroof pocket tin that im worried about, if he says its beyond repair I'll use the 65 sunroof sections in hopes they are ok, I might hafto use some of the mechanical pcs anyways especially after seeing what the parts are costing...the 65 is almost beyond repair but I believe they are all repairable...one of my personal mottos is "They're not makin any more!"

Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Good Luck Brian - Hope the tin hasn't gone past the point of no return!