updates on the 66 from alaska now on the road full time.

Here's the spot to show off your 1966 Beetle Restoration projects
hotair

updates on the 66 from alaska now on the road full time.

Post by hotair »

well i thought would up date you guys on the progress of the car.
i started a thread in the new members section called greeting from alaska.

to date i we have rebuilt the brakes bearings and have all tierods and balljoints to complete the front end. fuel lines replaced as well as brake lines. carb rebuilt and motor touched up here and there I.E. leaks and loose head bolts. we are really enjoying this car and drive it every chance we get. we even put the roof rack from our 65. i have been slacking on the pictures but will get some today, have a small list of items to get working hazards etc. but will keep you posted as time goes on.

cheers ed

pics of the progress.

the brake lines closed up from sitting.
Image[/b]
sjbaird

Post by sjbaird »

Hi. I have a pearl white '66 in Alaska also. No sunroof on mine, though. Bought mine in March in Southern Cal. Drove it to Seattle, and had it shipped to Anchorage. Now in Homer- where is yours?
micmaclopez

Post by micmaclopez »

nice 66 you have there.
pupjoint

Post by pupjoint »

dang, i was working on and off Alaska for close to 8 months and never saw a Bug there....nice work there!
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

I'm impressed seeing a weoman doing the work! My wife would love to be able to wrench on VWs, but she was missing the mechanics gene, so I settle for plenty of moral support! :lol:

I'll add that it's very common for old rubber brake hoses to constrict, and they should all be replaced if the brake lines look old.
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

Like the shots of you wrenching on your Bug. The weather is starting to turn here in Ohio. I changed the oil and greased the front end before the snow begins to fly. I'll drive Murray here and there throughout the winter as long as the roads are dry and salt free.
Elango Velautham

Hi guys

Post by Elango Velautham »

Hi there,

I am from Malaysia, and I just restored my 66 bug.... the ori colour was pearl white, but I repainted it to pear grey...
will post pics on it soon..
Best regards, and keep the love for the bugs especially the 66 going!!

Elango
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

Any updates on your 66? Looking forward to getting back on the road on a more regular basis. Happy early April fools day!!
Elango Velautham

From Malaysia to Alaska

Post by Elango Velautham »

I am amazed that a tiny spark of passion in a young Porsche almost century ago took him to Hitler, his legacy to Hirst, Nordhoff, millions of first owners, , and now to all of us. I love you guys!
:D ....................anyways.....

There are many unique features of 66 that are not found in pre or post 66. Do you know if anyone compiled those features? I find 67s enigmatic as well, and similar compilations of unique features specific to this rare model (esp the vast variations within) is a must as a reference point for all enthusiasts.

Would anyone know where to get the 66 hose assembly that leads from the spare tyre to the windscreen washing reservoir? Thanks..