Heat Exchangers - one hot, one not

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Northern66

Heat Exchangers - one hot, one not

Post by Northern66 »

Checking the heat in my Beetle (windchill of -29C tonight - that's -20F below the 49th!) and, after idling for about 10 minutes, only the left side of the muffler was hot. Therefore, only the left heat exchanger was putting hot air in the car. There was airflow on the right all the way to the windshield - just no heat.
A friend who used to own a Beetle said the muffler wouldn't get hot enough to put out heat on both sides until I drive the car since the engine doesn't warm enough just idling.
Is this correct? Do I have nothing to worry about until I take it out and drive it a bit to see if driving causes both sides of the muffler to heat up and the right exchanger to do its thing?
I have checked all the valves on the exchanger and below back seat and they open.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

That sounds incorrect to me. I know with dual carbs it'll idle more on 1 and 3, so you should have warmth on both sides. (cylinders 1 and 2 are passenger side, 3 and 4 are driver). I'm pretty sure that even in a stock configuration this should still be true. I'm wide open to hearing differently from someone who knows better.
Northern66

Standard 1600 set-up

Post by Northern66 »

I believe this to be a standard 1600 (from '71) set-up with the exhaust tubes coming off the front cylinders and going through the exchangers on both sides. I know at one point there was a gas heater above the trans - still there but the hoses, connections and guts are gone.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Is the thermostat hooked up and working properly? If not, your engine may not be reaching normal operating temperature in the cold weather.

I would agree that the engine won't warm enough just idling, but at -20 windchill, there's not a lot you can expect from the stock Beetle system even if everything worked perfectly.
Northern66

Post by Northern66 »

The thermostat is in place and appears to be working.

This cold snap doesn't seem to want to end anytime soon, so I expect I won't even be trying to start the car for a bit. As I said, I am getting airflow from both sides through the vents below the back seat and at the window - left side warm and right side cool - so maybe I'll wait until it gets warmer to see if the muffler gets fully hot and both sides get warm.

Appreciate the feedback. Sure helps a novice.