New member from Northern Alberta

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
Northern66

New member from Northern Alberta

Post by Northern66 »

I'm new to the site (and Beetles) with a 66 I picked up just prior to Christmas. Has a '71 1600 motor. Looking forward to spending time in it when the snow is gone and the temperature climbs above -20 c.
I'm one of those inept non-mechanics who's just brave (foolish?) enough to try most things with a book in one hand and a wrench in the other. Previously worked relatively well with a '39 Ford Fordor, '72 Triumph Spitfire and a '81 Fiat Spider - now it's time for a '66 Beetle.
I expect I will be asking lots of questions (already have a "what's this" posting on the technical forum).

Shaun
Attachments
Side.jpg
Side.jpg (46.48 KiB) Viewed 3723 times
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

You'll have a blast getting back to wrenching on some old metal. I hadn't worked on a car since they started putting all that pollution control and computer controlled diagnostics on cars. Just waaaay too complicated. Nice to get back to a good ole analog 6V driven system. All you need is a decent schematic.
Attachments
What comes out when you re-wire a Bug.
What comes out when you re-wire a Bug.
44YearsOf6v.jpg (12.58 KiB) Viewed 3687 times
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

If you were able to find your way through a Fiat Spyder, the Beetle should be a cake walk.
Northern66

My "mechanical" talents - NOT!

Post by Northern66 »

To be fair to history.....

The 39 Ford I won in a draw. Had sat for years after a bit of work and wouldn't even start when I picked it up. Body was GREAT! Electrics were iffy. Engine was a mystery (flathead V8). Got it running, but never smooth. Year and a half later I had sold the car and was getting it ready to deliver to new owner when a guy I barely knew walked into my yard and said he had seen me drive the car and knew I needed to do some adjusting to the engine. Half hour later the engine purred. Should have cancelled the sale, but instead drove the car for 45 minutes on the highway to deliver. It drove like new.

The Spitfire was fun (gotta love a car where the front tires are built-in seats for working on the engine). The more I got into it the more I found it to be a Heinz 57. It was a '72 with lots of other year parts. Did learn a bit about doing some work though (tune-up, brakes, electrical, bit of body work). Even re-built the master cylinder and replaced some brake lines.

The Spider was pure fun! Fuel injected, high revving, poor-man's Italian sports car! Never really had to do a lot to it - just drive it. Amazingly, it had the LEAST amount of electrical problems.

Through it all, my "mechanical" ability came from friends, books and forums like this.

So, I will be asking lots of questions about Beetles (already have - love electrical problems!) and reading my books with a wrench in my hand.