What is this Button?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Northern66

What is this Button?

Post by Northern66 »

I am new to the forum (and Beetles) and have a 66. I already have a question. What is the button to the right of the ashtray in my picture? The owner's manual shows nothing there or hazard lights in later models. Seems to have a relay attached behind the dash, but, nothing happens when I pull the button out. :?:
Attachments
66 Beetle Dash.jpg
66 Beetle Dash.jpg (43.22 KiB) Viewed 12509 times
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

I think it's something a previous owner added on. Can you trace the wires and see what you come up with?
Northern66

Post by Northern66 »

Waiting until the temperature gets above 0 c (about 32 F) to go into my unheated garage and work on the cold metal. Tonight is about -15 c.

I will chase the wires and see if I can identify where it goes.
I thought the black centre of the button wasn't a match for the rest.

Thanks
Northern66

Mystery Button with 3 wires

Post by Northern66 »

I chased the wires this afternoon (2 larger dark green and 1 smaller green with white stripe), but, they just went into the wiring harness and don't know where they go from there.
I checked the power and it does have power when the key is turned on (none without the key on).

Also could not get the turn signals to work, but, checked another post on the forum and found a link to the turn signal/flasher relay wiring. Found the Turn signal switch wire (black/white/green) was on terminal 54 instead of 49a. Moved it and the signals worked, but, the dash light blinked on and off even when turn signal/flashers were off :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

Love this forum. Hate wiring.

Appreciate any ideas on both problems.

Shaun
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Welcome to the wonderful world of '66 Beetle turn signal anomolies.
Northern66

Wiring

Post by Northern66 »

Got used to wiring problems with a 72 Triumph Spitfire. Everything in the car gounded (not very well) to one location.
The Beetle was converted to 12v. I'm thinking maybe following the original wiring diagrams may not always work? That could explain the turn signal problem and the fact that one headlight only works on high beam (tried a new light and same thing, so it is a wiring thing).
In a 6v to 12v conversion, what wiring could I expect to be changed and what could still be the original schematics?
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Here, see if this is of any use at all...

http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/6v_12v.htm

Ideally, the harness itself should be the same after the conversion, it's just the components that plug into the harness that change.

Unfortunately in a 45 year old car, if you still have a complete and correct factory harness you're in the lucky minority, they get hack to bits as cars change hands over time.

You can get a replacement harness for (last time I looked into it) about 250 bucks, plus your labor to install it. I know that's a big time and money commitment, so you have to weight the cost against your frustration level and see which one wins.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

The '66 6-volt VW used a blue box for the turnsignal and flasher relay. When you switch to 12-volt, you need to swap to a '67 "black box" if you plan to keep the wiring stock. Gremlins can crop up in these old relay boxes after so many years. Wolfsburg West lists parts number for new reproduction blue/black boxes, but I'm not sure if they're available yet.
Northern66

Bluebox/black box

Post by Northern66 »

This is the 9 terminal relay that is causing all the problems with the turn signals. When I put the wires according to the diagram I found on another posting on the forum, the turn signals work, but, the turn signal light on the speedometer flashes constantly - even when the turn signal is off. But when I put the wires back to where they were when I got the car (black/white/green wire on terminal 54 instead of 49A) no flashing on the dash, but, no turn signal either???????
Ground problem?
I'm stumped.
Attachments
100_0209.JPG
100_0209.JPG (19.73 KiB) Viewed 12390 times
Emrick

Post by Emrick »

Hi,
If you could not trace the wires till its end then leave it dude.
Just think that this button is decorating your car's interior. lol....

Raj Tv Live
Last edited by Emrick on Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
scatpackbee

Post by scatpackbee »

That black knob is not an add on from a previous owner.

My '66 has the same knob in the same place, with 2 green wires from the wiring harness going to a relay on the back side of the knob.

I too am trying to figure out what that knob does, as I'm going to perform a 12 volt conversion.

I'm going to email a guy who has the same car and see if he knows.

I'll post the answer if I get one.
scatpackbee

Post by scatpackbee »

I just got an email from a person who has had a 66 Beetle in his family since new, and he tells me the black knob is the on/off switch for a gas heater, which apparently was common on Canadian Beetles.
Northern66

Post by Northern66 »

Thanks, Scatpackbee - that's exactly what I found. The "shell" of an old gas heater is mounted above the trans (just in front of the motor). There are no gas lines, wiring, hoses going to the gas heater any more. I assume it was all removed when the car was converted to 12V 10 years ago.
I suppose if I ever want something else installed in the car I can use the switch (converted to 12V).
Thanks everyone fro responses.