I got a free beetle

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
nomycarisn'tHerbie

I got a free beetle

Post by nomycarisn'tHerbie »

Hello. I'm Joe from Memphis, TN and I finally remembered to start a profile on this site.

now let me explain that title...

I got my first VW when I was 12. It was a 1973 Westfalia camper that I bartered off an rich old lady who had the poor thing sitting under a magnolia tree in her front yard, covered in algae. She and her husband had 4 other cars (not VW's) and the bus had been rebuilt and recently tuned when it had been parked under that tree nearly 6 years before.

When me and my father came asking if she'd think of selling it, she said that she loved it and hadn't thought of selling it, but didn't want it to continue rotting under the tree. Sooooooo, she gave it to us!!!!!!

We had it running within a week of delivery by tow truck to our house, and I tinkered with it for the next 3 years.

Then, I began to think about selling the bus for a mid 60's beetle, because I really couldn't find a way to hot-rod a bus without it looking ridiculous....

So I put the bus up on Craig's List for $7000 or trade for a 60's beetle. Within 2 months I'd gotten 4 replies for a trade, but most of the beetles were not up to my standards. Then a nice old guy with a '66 beetle in sky blue contacted me saying that he'd put a load of money into his bug, but that now that he was retired, he and his wife wanted a camper to go touring the country in, after seeing pictures of the bug, I jumped on the deal and immediately set up a date at the beginning of the summer to meet up and trade in Texarkana.

I've now had the car a half year and, although I've had a few problems on the way, I am still very glad I decided to get a '66 beetle.

Here's some pics...

when I got it...

the engine compartment!!!!!!! (1776cc dual solex with a remote oil filter)

the bug now...
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Very nice!!

Loved the fender skirts and sttels!

Alex.