How do you work the gas heater??

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Volksie

How do you work the gas heater??

Post by Volksie »

Ok, we were told this '66 had a gas heater and I couldn't find it, as I thought the heater was located under the front trunk lid.

I have since discovered the heater under the vehicle above the transmission, but have absolutely no idea how to work it.

At this point in time the gas line to the heater is not hooked up, and I don't know why. Maybe it leaks?

Do these heaters have a carb, or how do you control the fuel flow, and what's with the spark plug?

Is the temp adjustable, or is it just full blast, is there a fan with different blower speeds?

Questions questions, hopefully somebody out there can answer them!

Thank you for your time, Volksie's hubby.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

You're gonna need an expert on gas heaters. It basically works like a tiny jet engine, only it produces heat instead of thrust.
branston

Post by branston »

Check out which model you have And search on thesamba.com most the user manuals are available or sear h the post there is a pile of help available
Volksie

Post by Volksie »

Thanks for the info guys.

I did some research and I think we have a Webasto??? heater. Unfortunately everything I could find on them indicates they are an extreme fire hazard so I doubt we'll try to use it.

Besides, Volksie says she has no interest in driving the vehicle in the winter anyway. I say good enough, that solves that problem!

I have ordered a Pertronix electronic ignition to eliminate the points. I had a heck of a time finding a set of points for this 1300 motor as they are apparently unique to this particular engine. Probably better to just avoid this issue again and go electronic.

I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks again...
jimbolia

Post by jimbolia »

Is that electronic kit for 6 volt? If so where did you get it? Thanks.
Volksie

Post by Volksie »

Hi Jimbolia, yes, it's made specifically for the 6 volt system. I called Pertronix directly and it turns out my closest dealer is in Calgary AB, Canada.

You can't buy directly from Pertronix, so they kind of give you the run-around finding someplace to order from.

The business I called only places an order to Pertronix once a month, so the order didn't go through until early December. I hope I'll have it early in January.

I'll try it out and post a new thread on how it works and include the part number etc.

Hope that helps, Volksie's hubby.
jimbolia

Post by jimbolia »

Awesome, thanks! Sure would like to go pointless. I think I saw one in JCWhitney a while back but haven't checked in a long time.

Jimbolia
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

I'm not sure Pertronix makes a electronic ignition to fit the '66 distributor. The '66 dizzy used a short distributor cap. Most of the applications I've seen are for the 009 mechanical advance distributor.