Rubber Floor Mats?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Russell 66

Rubber Floor Mats?

Post by Russell 66 »

Anyone have the rubber floor mat set to protect their carpeting? Pros, cons? Do they look substantial or are they thin and move around or "ripple" underfoot? I think I'd like to get the grey ones but, before I invest and have them shipped, just thought I see what you guys think.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

The factory-style floormats don't protect the carpet, because there was no carpet under them. Just the factory tar boards. I'm talking about the two-piece type. The front piece covers the floors and the tunnel ahead of the handbrake, and the rear piece covers from the handbrake to the rear seat. There are some nice reproductions available that approach the quality of the originals.
Russell 66

Post by Russell 66 »

Those are the kind I'm looking at through Wolfsburg West. I thought you could lay them over your carpet? Glad I asked! I thought I'd seen pictures of them in cars with carpet, but I suppose I didn't understand what I was seeing. Thanks for the clarification.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

The factory carpet fits on the kickpanels and along the tunnel. The floor mats cover the edges of the carpet. Sounds like you car had full carpeting fitted.
Russell 66

Post by Russell 66 »

Thanks, it does. I ended up ordering some "coco" mats. The car has light tan carpeting with light tan carpet mats. The mats protect but show everything. I think the coco mats in tan/black/brown will work out fine. They're shipping now.