splines

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

jimbolia

splines

Post by jimbolia »

Ok guys I need some help. I am in the middle of lowering the rear and for the life of me I can't get the outer spline to let go. the inner popped out just fine. Oh and I have my angle recorded so I know where it goes back.

I was going to take it one outer notch but how much different would it be if I did one inner notch? More or less than one outer. I am taking a break for lunch and to let the blaster hopefully soak, plus my back hurts.

So if I can't get the outer should I do one or two inners?

Thanks for any help.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

The inner end has 40 splines and the outer has 44. So if the torsion bar is moved one inner spline, it will have rotated 1/40 of 360 degrees, or 9 degrees. One spline of the spring plate at the outer end of the torsion bar equals 8 degrees. So by combining these two measurements, you can calculate the exact degree of drop.

As an example: On the left side, one notch counterclockwise on the inner and one notch clockwise on the outer will result in a slight lowering. To reset the camber 6 degrees, you would turn the inner splines 6 notches counterclockwise (54 degrees) and the springplate 6 splines clockwise (49 degrees).

Having said this, I don't advise people to lower their cars.
jimbolia

Post by jimbolia »

I went with with one notch on the inner and it brought the wheel down to even with the wheel well, just where I wanted it.