front bearings

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

jimbolia

front bearings

Post by jimbolia »

Well I got my new lowered spindles and bearings from cip1 and after taking everything apart I see that I don't have new rubber seals. Can these seals be removed and reused or are they going to get destroyed when I pry them out. I just want to know if I should bother to start putting it all back together or if I should wait more and get some new ribber seals first?

It is quite cool how easy it is to do this yourself, a little over an hour and the old spindles were on the floor.

Thanks for any advice.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Rubber is a consumable part. I'd order them and wait. This is your suspension you're working with and taking chances is a bad idea. You don't want to do the "failed front wheel bearing lockup emergency stop without killing yourself" test, trust me.
jimbolia

Post by jimbolia »

yeah, I went and bought them today and got the front all finished up, no way they would have been reusable anyway.

Going to start the rear now, it looks goofy so low in the front and high in the rear. I have a question though about that. I bought a torsion spring tool to make it a little easier so once I have the spring plate up off its resting stop do I let it down and pry it over to miss the stop on the way down or does the cap at the pivot point need to be off or loose to miss the stop. I think I read the cap had to be off but I really don't want to be smacked in the mouth by a flying spring plate if that is wrong. Other than that it seem pretty straight forward. Thanks in advance for any advice or help.