tires

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

jimbolia

tires

Post by jimbolia »

I hope this is in the right forum, if not I am sorry. I ordered some 145 tires as recommended by many in this forum. Only problem is at the end of the order when you can put what they are for I put 66 beetle, wrong move.
I got a call from a guy there that needed the axle weight because they were smaller tires and hold less weight.
I could not find a placard on the car anywhere or on the internet. So I had to cancel the order and will reorder and not specify what car they go on this time.

I even asked the guy if I could just reorder and not specify and he said yeah but since I put down 66 Beetle he could not sell them without knowing the axle weight.

Just a little info to hopefully save someone some trouble.

Oh and if there is a placard, where would it be?
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Don't you love companies that cook up ways to kill their own sales?

A Volkswagen weighs about 1700 lbs., and the front to rear weight ratio is 42/58, so you can do the math.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Nice way to lose a sale there. You should call back and tell the guy there aren't any axles so there's no weight. :) Obviously he's either new or clueless. Our cars are so light that the whole car weighs less that the load rating for almost every tire I've seen, let alone just the front end.
jimbolia

Post by jimbolia »

Redid the order and they are on the way!
Bug-Eyed

Post by Bug-Eyed »

I would be a little more concerned with putting tires on that were weight rated for the car. Suppliers are taking a tremendous risk knowingly selling tires for a car that they are not designed for. Lot's of potential liability issues there.

I have a local friend that is dead now because a dealer installed the wrong tire. Guess what happened to the dealer.