Clunking sound from left rear wheel...Help

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

riocat53

Clunking sound from left rear wheel...Help

Post by riocat53 »

Heard a clunking sound and then about a mile or so heard it again...lucky I was just about home...when I stopped the left rear wheel had a funky smell...any ideas? seems like it might be brake related? bearings? costly?... I'm not that bright beyond changing oil...
pira114

Post by pira114 »

I had the same thing happen to me years ago. It turned out to be loose lug nuts. Mine were obvious because two were missing and the others were very loose. But I didn't notice until I had someone drive it slowly while I watched from behind. That's one theory.

The other is a problem in the axle. And that could be several problems and, yes, costly.

Hope you figure it out, or someone smarter than me can provide more help.
--------------------------------------------------

This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~Elmer Davis
65standard

Re: Clunking sound from left rear wheel...Help

Post by 65standard »

riocat53 wrote:Heard a clunking sound and then about a mile or so heard it again...lucky I was just about home...when I stopped the left rear wheel had a funky smell...any ideas? seems like it might be brake related? bearings? costly?... I'm not that bright beyond changing oil...
I don't know if you've sorted it out by now, but was the axle nut loose? If so, the clunking could have been the axle bouncing in the the gearbox and causing the brake to drag on that drum.

Hope this helps
Rubin66

Post by Rubin66 »

riocat53,
You might have had a brake spring or parking brake component failure inside the drum. The loose parts may have caused a fluid leak and odor. There is potential for the wheel to lock up if something is loose inside.
So, do you know how to jack it up in the rear and support it on stands? You then might spin the wheels and listen for any unusual or abnormal rattle or clinking noises. Pull the hubcaps so you can shine a strong flashlight into the brake adjustment hole in the drum to look for loose parts, fresh shiny scratches, fluid leaks etc. Grab the wheel and tire at 12 and 6 o'clock and try to wiggle, is there excess play or looseness?
Gotta go now, see what happens with this.
Good luck, hope it helps
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

A lining may have separated from a brake shoe. The car will need to have the rear drums removed and the brake components checked out.