1600cc for other 1600cc

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Cal.Duke

1600cc for other 1600cc

Post by Cal.Duke »

The oil scavanger tube in my engine came lose. Is their any way too reconect it without cracking open the case?

Also my engine is a 1600cc dual port I have an opportunity to buy an engine but is a single port will their be any complications changing the engine?

I will rebuild the non working engine later but want to really get on the road soon.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

There are a couple differences between a s/p and d/p engine. Specifically, 2 more ports. :)

I kid, but in all seriousness, the heads are different, but the only real different and non-interchangeable hardware will be the intake manifolds. Everything else should adapt straight over for the most part. make sure the flywheels match (IE they're both 12 volt, or both 6 volt, likely the former and not the latter) or you will have starter and trans problems.

I suppose you could try some sort of mickey mouse fix on the pick-up tube but I've always been told that if it comes off it's time to split it and fix it right. In the long run you end up saving money if you do it once, than if you try to band-aid it and it ends up wedged between your cylinder walls...
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

I think the qustion was whether there would be any complications replacing a dual port 1600 engine with a single-port 1600 engine, and the answer is no. They're interchangable.
Cal.Duke

Post by Cal.Duke »

Thank both for the info.

Let me say that my VW is running again :P I stopped by the local VW shop the mechanic said " I might be able to get it back into the origainal hole with some luck. Once in I would need to modifiy a wrench to tighten to specs" All in all I did in fact have some luck in placing it. She is all put together and running. Will give a tune up to her soon. Off to the fair for VW car show, not expecting to win anything, but with free admission to the fair and car show I can't go wrong. Did I mention anyone able to fit inside also gets in free.

Thank you again and happy traveling 8) 8) .