brakes failed

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

phononocd

brakes failed

Post by phononocd »

I was being stupid and pressed my brake pedal too hard and all of a sudden it fell to the floor and no longer worked. I looked under the car and brake fluid was dripping out under the pan that is under the master cylinder. It has always has a slow leak by the master somewhere. I took the wheel off to look at the area, and the only bad thing I saw was a soaked hose that led from the fluid resevuir to the master. The area under the master has always been oily but not this bad. I'm hoping it's just a busted hose. I couldn't stay out there that long because of the heat, and I wasn't trying to go any where. Is there anything that I should be checking or looking for? I looked at all of the other hoses around the wheels and they all looked fine. Any advice is appreciated!
phononocd

Post by phononocd »

Well I just got out there today and I took a look at things. I got in and pushed on the brake pedal and I heard a noise. I looked under and it was dripping again, then my dad pused and I watched, and fluid was squirting out the brake light switch. I took the switch off and there was a hole in the plastic at the end. I guess the pressure made it pop! I also figured out my brake leak. I'll pick up another switch soon and then my next challenge will be to bleed the brakes :shock: All in all a good day!
phononocd

Post by phononocd »

I got the switch and instaled it, then with the help of my dad bled the brakes. It was messy, but not that hard. Now my stupid mistake and my brake leak are fixed! I'm just glad they fialed in my back yard than on the road!
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

I've never had that happen with the brake light switch on the MC before. I have had brake lines corrode and burst however. I used to hate bleeding brakes until I bought one of these http://www.mityvac.com/
They make a plastic and a metal version, I have the metal one. I think there's an electric powered one now too.

Good luck
'66 Type I
Kiwi66

Post by Kiwi66 »

I had the same thing happen to me, but my pressure switch was less than a year old. Seems to be quite common with some brands of switches.
phononocd

Post by phononocd »

my old switch didn't look that old either, but the plastic on the end was a whole lot thinner than my new one.