Pedal Assembly Replacement

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

VWPOMO1

Pedal Assembly Replacement

Post by VWPOMO1 »

Hi,

I recently had to replace my 44 year old pedal assembly, it was still working ... but, the brake pin popped out under heavy braking and lucky for me - the E brake was tight. So, I had to replace it. My search for a 66' assembly was tough - so, I had to replace it with the "standard" replacement assembly. But, what I have found is that the pedals are close, mainly the gas and the brake ... my 66' has a roller gas pedal and I'm wondering if going to a flat pedal will correct this (pulling my foot off the gas, my foot hits the back side of the brake pedal), as a flat gas pedal is ahead of the brake, etc. Or what about a cruiser pedal and using the existing roller pedal together?

Thanks 66'ers !!!
branston

Post by branston »

I guess way back in '66 folks didn't wear sneakers. I don't have a problem if I wear narrower shoes. But TBH they really are close. In my own '66 its easy to catch the back of the brake pedal. Just a design fault? most my life i drove RHD bugs and you don't get the same problem.
VWPOMO1

Post by VWPOMO1 »

I was just at The Great Canadian VW Show and a lot of people had the OE flat pedal or opted for a cruiser pedal ... The roller was discontinued for a reason I guess. Save it for Dune Buggys. Any other thoughts out there?
pira114

Post by pira114 »

I had a roller pedal on my baja. Don't remember it being too close to the brake. Maybe that's cuz I spent so much time replacing the throttle cable. I junked the roller pedal and went back to stock, never had that problem again.

Just my opinion, but the roller pedals are junk.
--------------------------------------------------

This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~Elmer Davis