ignition on steering column

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

pira114

ignition on steering column

Post by pira114 »

My bug has the standard ignition switch in the dash. But it also has one on the steering column. I know that the steering column was borrowed at some point in it's life.

My question is when and where were these columns used? I'll probably replace it with the type it came with originally, but I'm curious as to how I determine what year this came from and where. Might be helpful to know if I decide to sell it when I get the correct column.
--------------------------------------------------

This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~Elmer Davis
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Could you post a photo of it? Is it a column lock or is it a late model column? There was an optional early steering column lock/ignition available for beetles. I think the first integrated locking column standard was '69 in the US, though I vaguely recall reading somehere that euro models got it earlier.

Those early locking columns trade pretty briskly on ebay and the samba. Trick accessory for many folks.
pira114

Post by pira114 »

I'll try to post a pic tomorrow. The guy I bought this from said it was the steering column for the Euro model. I wouldn't have known any better at the time and didn't care either.

I'll get a pic up and post any markings or numbers it has on it.

This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~Elmer Davis
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

That actually lends some weight to it being an early column lock. There were much more common in EU.
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Factory column locks started in Europe in 67/68.

Alex
pira114

Post by pira114 »

Thanks for the info. I totally forgot about getting a pic. I'll see what I can do tomorrow.