Aussie '66 Standard Beetle :D

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
keeno83

Aussie '66 Standard Beetle :D

Post by keeno83 »

Hey all,

Recently purchased a '66 bug to restore over a long period of time for my daughter who's 7yrs old lol...
Has anyone seen many of these around?
I cannot locate a picture of the plain jane beetle anywhere.. was wondering if I should restore it to its former standard glory or add some crome bumpers etc..
Any ideas?
The old engine heater works like a charm, there's no radio, no clock, not even a lid for the glovebox.. whoever bought this car from new must have been a tight arse :p
Options? NO! lol
However the car came with all the original paperwork and service details which was nice.
Attachments
beetle1.JPG
beetle1.JPG (37.47 KiB) Viewed 9454 times
beetle.JPG
beetle.JPG (41.56 KiB) Viewed 9454 times
Aircooledbenny

Post by Aircooledbenny »

Lovely colour, Looks funky without chrome bumpers as they are common!

Btw you haven't got 66 wheels ;)
you have the earlier smoothes stopped in 1965!

Are you sure you bug isnt a 65 but registered in 66, Either way RAD bug love white bugs 8) 8) 8) 8)
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Aussie bugs had the small windows, solid wheels and king & link pin beam up to 67 then went to euro and us spec in 68! The missed out on the euro/us 65 and 66 models with bigger windows, slotted wheels etc.

Nice find dude!

Alex
Aircooledbenny

Post by Aircooledbenny »

crazydaze wrote:Aussie bugs had the small windows, solid wheels and king & link pin beam up to 67 then went to euro and us spec in 68! The missed out on the euro/us 65 and 66 models with bigger windows, slotted wheels etc.

Nice find dude!

Alex
Wow I didnt know that, tell you what if i could have a small window 66 id love that! 8) 8) 8)
keeno83

Post by keeno83 »

I did some research on the car.. it was made late '65 and i guess first purchased early '66..
So ya think its a decent find?
Was thinking of restoring it the way it came out of the plant, silver bumpers instead of crome.. I know crome looks alot better.. but I've never seen one like this before.. So i might keep it original :)
Its still a 6volt system aswell.. never been converted.. which is abit of a pain getting light globes where I live :)
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

60's standards are rare where ever you are in the world, the fact it's RHD is a bonus. The Aussie CKD stuff is unusual and perhaps here in Europe is not as desirable as a Wolfsburg built bug, but at the end of the day, you have a rare car on your hands there bud! 8)

Alex.
keeno83

Post by keeno83 »

Awesome :D
I'll keep everyone posted on how the restoration process is going :)
Though it may very well be slow.. :p
Aircooledbenny

Post by Aircooledbenny »

RHDs rock, RHD's rock in white :wink: :lol:
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

At this point in history, a unique car that's this complete should be restored to original. The only thing I would question is the wisdom of restoring the car for a 7-year-old. Who's to say she'll have any interest in the car in another decade? I've bought several cars over the years that had been saved for children who ended up having no interest in the thing.
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

Do your homework on the Standards! Great find and I encourage you to bring it back as close to original as your wallet can handle. They are very collectible and COOL!

My car is still 6v, consider changing out the wiring harness, you'll be glad you did. I did it over Memorial Day weekend and the annoying red glow from the charging indicator is nearly GONE. The motor cranks fine and I think the lights are plenty bright enough. Again, stay 6v if you can with a car like you have. Worth much more as an original.
pira114

Post by pira114 »

Blue Baron wrote:At this point in history, a unique car that's this complete should be restored to original. The only thing I would question is the wisdom of restoring the car for a 7-year-old. Who's to say she'll have any interest in the car in another decade? I've bought several cars over the years that had been saved for children who ended up having no interest in the thing.
Buuuuuuut......... It might be an opportunity to keep her interested in it by involving her in the restoration process. From an early age. I think she'll love it before she ever gets it.

And not to be rude, my children got/get whatever car I decide they get. Their first car is important for several reasons, but the top of the list is MY opinion of what they should be driving. I'll tell you one thing, living where I live, California, not having to smog a vehicle and cheap insurance are the top two priorities for a first car. After that, the learning involved in vehicle maintenance and repair are very important. And what better car to learn on than an old bug?
keeno83

Post by keeno83 »

Blue Baron wrote:At this point in history, a unique car that's this complete should be restored to original. The only thing I would question is the wisdom of restoring the car for a 7-year-old. Who's to say she'll have any interest in the car in another decade? I've bought several cars over the years that had been saved for children who ended up having no interest in the thing.
Just a good excuse for the missus.. "its for the kids"... then sure.. you can keep it.. lol
she wont want it in 10yrs :) and yeah.. she's helping with it as we go along :)
She got all excited when she showed her mum she pulled the headlight off lol