'66 Model 117 in Bahama Blue (New Port Richey, Florida)

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
nickcarin

'66 Model 117 in Bahama Blue (New Port Richey, Florida)

Post by nickcarin »

I bought this '66 locally from a friend about five years ago. He had bought the auto from the original owner about a year prior to that. The original owner had purchased the car in Germany on 12, April 1966. The car came with the original German sales receipt from Ernst Islinger Motorfahrzeuge.

I have absolutely no mechanical skills and bought this car with the intentions of restoration. I always liked VWs and wanted to work on this car "from the ground up." The learn as you go approach, I guess.

I have a lot of questions for the community, but I wanted to at least introduce myself and my car before I deluge anyone with my questions!

fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Looks like it's in good shape, what do you need to restore?
nickcarin

Post by nickcarin »

fatalifeaten wrote:Looks like it's in good shape, what do you need to restore?
Mainly rust. New upholstery. New rubber, plastic, etc. Every fender is dinged and dented. The chrome bumpers have a few dings.

I have a 300+ lb brother-in-law. When he sat in the passenger seat the pan fell through to the ground!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

She does look nice! Good luck with the work Nick! It won't be long and I'm sure you'll be cruising all over - maybe even with your brother in law! :lol:
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Hey Nick, I'm in Brandon, and I have two '66 Beetles, one that's finished and one I'm currently putting together. You can private message me with any questions.

Congrats on the find. They're just coming out of the woodwork in Florida!
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

That looks really nice!

The toolbox in the spare wheel is valuable,don't sell it to someone who may not think you know what you have!

Alex.
carol

Post by carol »

just bought the exact same version and color of your car . Mine however has 2 layers of paint on it!! Hope i can get it into that good a shape . Hope your
Brother in Law is ok
Have fun.
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

Your Bug takes a nice picture! Nice find and have fun getting it back into shape.
pira114

Post by pira114 »

Wow. Looks really nice! I love that tool box in the spare. Been looking for one myself. From someone who might not know what they have! :D Just kidding. Good luck with it. You've got a great car to work with so it shouldn't be too hard.
--------------------------------------------------

This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave. ~Elmer Davis