I need a VOTE from you guys...to convert or not to convert

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Heather

I need a VOTE from you guys...to convert or not to convert

Post by Heather »

I keep going back and forth and it's annoying me!!!!

So give me your .002 cents vote
Should I convert to 12 Volt or not. I know it depends on what i want but I'm not gonna get what i really want anyway so help me weigh the options. I need to decide by end July.
So here's the deal....
I'm restoring it to stock best I can w/budget. I wanted to keep 6volt & someday show it, this is a weekend car.
Engine it almost done being rebuilt 1600 inside the 1300 crank case.
2 biggest wants w/12V
*More than anything I want a car alarm!
*radio in truck that plays my Ipod would be great!
Brighter lights is a plus
Negitives w/12V
*changing all bulbs, I just aquired the hard to find Hazard knob and will that burn out w/12V or can you put a 12V bulbs in there, I don't know?
*been reading here with the flywheel thing? I don't get that but my friend who is doing this project will. I printed out all the advise on that in the other thread.
*cost of conversion kit
My friend will do all the work for free. He thinks and my husband thinks i should go to 12Volt.
Will my engine w/the 1600 run better w/12V or does that have anything to do with it?
How much will it depreciate in value at a 12Volt?
agggilli

Post by agggilli »

If you want better overall operation of everything and more reliability then I suggest going to 12 volt. I am installing all new modern fuses, relays, wiring and using all modern conveniences ( alarm, PW, Power door locks, A/C, etc.) so I have no choice but to convert.
branston

Post by branston »

my 2c worth again.

I've had 12v and 6v beetles. there should be no debate 12v is better that's why VW changed it.

But.... for me it depends on what you want from your car. I restore to original, so 6v it is for me and yes the headlights are like candles and sometimes the engine is slow to turn over on the starter, but provided all the terminals especially the ground wires are spotless and all the switches in good shape then 6v is fine.

If you want to drive you car daily in all conditions go to 12v without hesitation.

I drive my 6v Beetles every weekend through the summer and more if possible without any problems apart the above comments.

So my vote for originality goes to 6v
and for usability 12v
Last edited by branston on Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
micmaclopez

Post by micmaclopez »

12V
Heather

Post by Heather »

Thanks for the votes so far it's helping me! It will be a weekend car and we don't get any extreme weather here.

I may be leaning toward keep it 6 volt and see how it goes then if it drives me nuts switch to 12Volt. Also depends if hubby wants to give up space in our lil crapy one car garage and let me park it there Then i could sleep at night if it didn't have an alarm.
BERHAN

Post by BERHAN »

you can run 2 6volt batteries in series for your alarm and your stereo, that way there would be no need to change all of your bulbs
Heather

Post by Heather »

Berhan can you explain that in layman terms, I'm not understanding?
agggilli

Post by agggilli »

BERHAN wrote:you can run 2 6volt batteries in series for your alarm and your stereo, that way there would be no need to change all of your bulbs
That's a Great idea Berhan! Heather you use two 6 volt batteries side by side (you could put the second battery on the drivers side). See the diagram I attached as to how to do it. On the 12volt accessories you will need to run the ground wires back to the battery as shown, vs hooking them up to the body. :)

BERHAN

Post by BERHAN »

Optima makes a 6 volt battery which is half the size of the standard 6 volt battery, which means you can run 2 6 volt batteries in the same place as the stock battery. Although they are a little pricey. good luck with your project....Terry
Heather

Post by Heather »

Thanks guys i'll will run this buy management, lol.
pira114

Post by pira114 »

It was made with a 6 volt system and that's what it was designed to use.

I've converted and modified many different types of vehicles. I've found that stock is usually more reliable.

You may like 12v. I've had many friends convert. Some had major issues and some didn't.

I also just like to keep things original.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

If it ain't broke don't fix it. But I agree about the Optima battery. It's a huge improvement over the 6-volt lead-acid battery. And you just need one.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I'm a six volt fan myself - it has always worked reliably for me. The lights are a little dimmer than I'd like but I am rarely out after dark.
Roadbug

6 or 12 Volt?

Post by Roadbug »

I vote for 6 Volt. You will have to clean your connections for the best flow of current, but it works fine.
For those who've switched, I'd like to buy your original 6 volt headlight switch.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

The headlight switch doesn't need to be changed. The 6-volt switch will work just fine on 12 volts.