hi, care to see my bug?

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
ChrisV

hi, care to see my bug?

Post by ChrisV »

Hi everyone,

I purchased this 66 bug a few months ago. All it needed was an electrical component for dash lights and a locksmith to get me inside. The fuel gauge is stuck about half way but I can usually open the gas cap and look inside. The trunk will sometimes freeze shut, preventing me from re-fueling.

My only real complaint is the heater now that temps have been around 15F to -10F. Do these bugs heat all that well in this range? Should I expect much air through vents? The heater boxes, flaps, & cables are in working condition.

Is this a standard vw paint color?

What a nice surprise to find a forum dedicated to the 66 beetle.
-ChrisV

jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi ChrisV and welcome to the forum!

That looks like the 66 color "Sea Blue". As far as the front hood (for fuel) not opening, you probably just need to adjust the cable so that the pull completely unlocks the front hood.

I don't drive my beetle in the winter anymore because of the salt on the roads here is Wisconsin, but back in the 70s when I had my first 66, I drove all year round and in sub zero temps. I never had any issues with heat since my heater channels were in excellent shape. The only issue I ever had was some frosting of the inside of the windshield.

She looks to be a beautiful 66 - congratulations!
ChrisV

Post by ChrisV »

JMartini,

The hood latch has been tightened and fluid film applied to weatherstripping. The ice probably won't glue trunk shut so easily now. Also started parking it under cover so the snow can't pile on overnight.

I have the salt problem as well. Front bumper chrome has begun to rust after a single trip through brine. Know of a good way to protect it from salt melt? I thought wax would help but, I don't have a warm garage to wax in.

Oh, I saw these nifty heated wiper blades that would prevent the windshield ice. Can't decide if I want to modernize the wipers though.

Thanks,
-Chris
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Salt is a bugs worst enemy. I can't think of anything that will really protect the bumpers - wax is probably the best bet, however, it's the seams between the fenders and body (and the heater channels) that really get chewed up by the salt.

The frosting on my windshield was on the inside. The outside seemed to be fine.
kevinbmx

Post by kevinbmx »

Nice car man, looks really good
ChrisV

Post by ChrisV »

Thanks!

Its just so sad watching it deteriorate from rust. Also my bumber is a little crooked now, not really sure what happened. Will try to fix it soon, maybe rechrome them. I miss the all aluminum body of my old Porche 924

Doing the best I can at the moment trying to keep it looking and running nice. Got a very nice vacuum tube stereo I finished repairing today and can't wait to get that beauty installed. Even has a 1973 unused vacuum tube to be broken in. This car should be on JBugs cover before long. I hope :wink:

Looks a lot like Jmartini's VW with the same blue color.

crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Nice Bug!

To me in those pics it looks like your car may have been resprayed in it's life, that blue looks too 'blue' for Sea Blue.

Like as been said, the heater should work great if all the parts are in good serviceable order, the heater channels (both sills each side of the car) are probably the biggest achillies heal as the system relies on these being in great shape and leak free to channel warm air all the way from the rear of the car to the footwells and screen vents.

Those bumpers are'nt worth the $$$ to rechrome, they are repro and as such do not have a great reputation for lasting well when exposed to winter driving!

You would be better off either buying new Stainless Steel bumpers or sourcing a decent straight Original set (Originals do not have the rubber grommets between the towel rail overiders and the blade bumper itself and will have VW stamped on the inside of the blades in the center) and restoring & re-chroming them if they need it.

Your bumper is probably wonky due to a) the bolts/hangers need tightning up or b) some numpty/soccer mom/elderly person bumping into the car in a car park!

Alex.
ChrisV

Post by ChrisV »

Not sure about it being resprayed but likely. The camera flash makes it apprear brighter than usual. After a good wax the color has a darker gloss to it.

Definitely want some stainless bumpers though. Not that some good polish wont cure the old rusty type.

The heater channels are in good shape, tightened up all the clamps and lever wires, it will cook you pretty quick now.
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Sounds great!

Alex
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

Cool car, matches the bug on the forum!
ChrisV

Post by ChrisV »

Thanks for all the nice comments. Such a fun car.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Looks good. Welcome.
empiracer1966

Post by empiracer1966 »

Yes ChrisV, your car looks vg!

Welcome to the forum!

Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB