Hi... Looking at a 66 or getting my old 67 back.

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
RocCrk

Hi... Looking at a 66 or getting my old 67 back.

Post by RocCrk »

Hi everybody,

I am looking at getting a 1966 VW Bug. I used to have a 63 and a 67, but sold them when my wife got prego 13 years ago. I ran into the person who had bought my 67 off me, and he told me that he was interested in selling it. I told him I would love to come to look at it and would be really interested in buying it back. So when I went to look at it, I found out it was in bad shape. Not in the great condition it was when I sold it to him. He told me that he would like to get the $2500 that he paid for it, but I am at a lost if I want to pay him that. So anyways, since talking to him, I figured I would look around to see what I could find for the fun of it. Well, before to long, I came a cross a 66 bug. Here is what the Ad says, "1966 VW Beetle. 1600 Dual Port Motor, mags. new window and door gaskets bumpers. Just a real nice bug. $4,000 OBO" This bug looks like it is great shape. The guy said it was coved up for 25 years before he bought it 5 years ago. Since he owned it, he replaced bumpers, lights, turn signals, window/Door gaskets. He changed out the rims for new ones (kind of a bummer), He says, it doesn’t leak a drop of oil, there is a spot of rust any were on it. I will try to post some pics of it with this posting. So, I am at a lost as what to do. He lives so far a way from me, so driving to see it would take a day. What do you forum members think from what I told you about the bug.

BTW, great forum. and nice to meet you all,

Lee
Attachments
bug2 001.jpg
bug2 001.jpg (61.08 KiB) Viewed 4853 times
bug2 002.jpg
bug2 002.jpg (66.48 KiB) Viewed 4853 times
bug2 003.jpg
bug2 003.jpg (68.35 KiB) Viewed 4853 times
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

This quite a dilemma! There are VW owners who love their 67s. Love that they are pretty unique in their own right, 12v, upgrade HP, dual circuit brake system. There were quite a few improvements introduced in 67...
BUT the 1966 VW is a one of a kind mid-60s car. It's the last of the 6v generation, a one time only 1300 engine, still has the classic headlights with the small parking light (one of my favorite features). These lights are the same you see on Porsche 356s. First year for hazard warning lights, high beam switch on the turn signal indicator. I LOVE the 66 model year, but you would expect that from a 1966 VW forum.

Does this help or hurt? Good luck with your decision! Although it might be far to drive I highly recommend that you look at the car in person. There have been some recent horror stories on thesamba.com that are definitely buyer beware! The ad for the 66 says OBO. How would you feel if you could get the 66 for $3-3,500, only $1,000 bucks away from the 67 which you say has not been very well maintained.
Attachments
DSC01107.jpg
DSC01107.jpg (12.67 KiB) Viewed 4850 times
RocCrk

Post by RocCrk »

Thank you for writing me back.

I did love the looks of my 63 I used to have, with the classic headlights. I guess it really isn't much of a dilemma on picking which one. I have been so busy with other things going on in my life that I don't think I would have the time to do a restore on my old 67 bug, if I was to buy it back. For what I have hard about the 66 that I am looking at, it so far sounds like a nice bug. I do want to go see it before I do any moves on wanting to buy it. What do you guys think from the pictures I posted of it? It looks like the seats were replaced. I guess I am just looking for some feed back on this bug.

Thanks again.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Obviously I am biased - I love the 66. I would opt for the 66 based on the info you gave about the condition the 67 is in. I don't think I'd drop that kind of money into a car that needs a lot of work unless I was looking for a hobby ( and if your wife is ok with you spending a lot of time int he garage). Some people do like to do that kind of work so you have to decide if you can defer some pleasure while you fix her up. I'm sure there is some sentimental attachment to the 67 so that would make it a harder decision. Best of luck! John
larryho

Post by larryho »

You should know the condition of the car when you sold it 13 years ago and the condition now in your words 'it was in bad shape'. Obviously the owner has not been taking care of the car and trying to sell it.
Restoring a car is not a joy unless like what John said you are taking it as a hobby. The time in the garage and the hidden cost mounting up as you get along should be considered seriously.
I should know as my 66 is now in the garage for a full body restoration. My better half is almost daily at the garage monitoring the progress.
We are real enthusiasts ~ love our 66 very much ~ but like I said it can be very frustrating but luckily we are together in this to make our car one that we will be proud of.
We really miss the car and looking forward to have her back home ~ God knows when ~ with the progress we are having.
All the best to you Lee. Hope you will make the right decision.
Larry
Teal

Post by Teal »

Pardon my fung-shui attitude, but you've gotta feel it, man. I loved the '66 when I started looking for my first vintage Type 1, but something was a little off when i went and looked at them. Then I found mine, and it was like a goosebump moment, even seeing pictures online.

I feel like these cars, they're more than just machines. Buddhist mumbo-jumbo perhaps, but I believe that the right owner will find the right beetle. Or vice versa, if you really believe in quantum physics.

Anyway, may your compass always point north, and your gut always point towards the right dub for you.
Attachments
Lola 1.jpg
Lola 1.jpg (6.06 KiB) Viewed 4581 times
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

My first love was a ruby red '67, and I've been thinknig about finding another to work on as a long term project. However, were it me, I'd definitely buy the '66.

Take a day and go out there, and drive it for an hour or so. make sure it checks out for you, and bring it home. 4k for a car in that shape is certainly not a steal, but you're also not getting robbed at that price. Take cash, see if he'll bite on 3500 cash. If you don't like the 5 spokes, the odds are very high that you could trade them for some original wheels and maybe get some cash back as well.