Help me diagnose this front-end problem

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

OD#3

Help me diagnose this front-end problem

Post by OD#3 »

I acquired my '66 about a month ago and knew right away that I'd have to do something about the front end. I just don't know exactly what. The front wheel bearings sound and feel worn out, and I do plan to replace these. But I don't think they can account for all the symptoms. The front end feels a little loose but tracks straight and doesn't wobble or shimmy--unless I hit a bump. Then I really feel it in the steering wheel, as if the wheel that hit the bump is bouncing and pulling in both directions. The most pronounced symptom though, is when backing. When I back out of the driveway and turn the wheel, it almost feels like the tires are contacting the body. I first assumed this was the case, since the PO installed Porsche rims with wider tires. But I've since double-checked this, and it isn't the case. Almost any turning of the steering wheel while backing produces a wobbly feeling as if the front wheels are trying to track first one way and then the other and communicating this feeling to the steering wheel. The PO had had already installed all new tie-rod ends and steering dampener. Any suggestions?
empiracer1966

Post by empiracer1966 »

OD#3

The wheel bearings (new, inner and outer with new races too) is where I would start with first. Also, I'd check the ball joints.

Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB
OD#3

Post by OD#3 »

Thanks, I think it was the bearings. When I took the drums off, a roller actually fell out of the right outer bearing! It had split longitudinally. The race had gouges in it from the damage. Unfortunately, the replacement bearings and races I bought weren't correct. Apparently, someone replaced the '66 spindle with one from a later year. So the inside bearing was too small. Since I had everything apart and it was Sunday (my VW parts store was closed), I just replaced the outer bearings and races on both wheels (the inside seemed okay). That cured the problem right away; no noise and no wobbly wheels on backing. However, I will need to redo the project soon. I don't think I adjusted the bearings properly, as the symptoms have just now started to return a little bit.