Pros and cons 6 to 12volt conversion

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

riocat53

Pros and cons 6 to 12volt conversion

Post by riocat53 »

I am debating weather or not to convert from 6 to 12volt...would like to hear from those who have if it is worth doing...sorry if this has already been covered...
Thanks
empiracer1966

Post by empiracer1966 »

riocat53

Some things to consider when converting 6v to 12v. A 100 pt resto would definitely be out of the question. But you could hide all the 12v components by making them look like 6v components.

One huge benefit that 12v has over the 6v is that 12v has twice the “pressure” or voltage and half the amp draw. Meaning brighter headlights and less “hot” spots. (Time causes corrosion, hot spots and loss of grounds, which by the way, causes more corrosion and more loose connections.) Thus the maladies we’ve come to expect from the antiquated 6v systems.

If you plan on using your ’66 for a daily driver, I would highly recommend converting it to 12v simply for safety’s sake. Brighter lights all around, easier starting and less hot spots just to name a few.

To convert to 12v you would need…
• 12v battery (which are usually less expensive than a 6v battery)
• 2 head lights
and all other lights ex. Gauge, turn, brake etc. NOTE: Some part suppliers sell a conversion kit with a lot of these already collected. And don’t forget the “wheat” bulb in the emergency flasher knob
• A voltage drop for the wipers
or a new 12v armature for the wiper motor (a direct replacement from Wolfsberg West)
or what I did…install a ’67 wiper motor and switch (which has the same ’66 appearance with the exception of one more wire between the motor and switch and has 2 speeds! :D )
• 12v coil and if you are using an electric choke then you will need a 12v choke coil too
• A 12v generator or alternator with a 12v voltage regulator or use a 1 wire alternator that has an internal voltage regulator
• 12v starter, starter bushing and flywheel (200mm) NOTE: Clearencing the transaxle bell housing for the bigger flywheel is needed
• Did I forget anything? :o

You could get away with using the 6v starter for a little while but it is hard on the windings and in time the solenoid will give eventually up the ghost. The flywheel will get chewed up also, from the fast engagement of the bendix. If you do decide to change the starter and flywheel, you will have to clearance the bell housing for the 200mm flywheel or install a 12v transaxle from a ’67 or ’68 using your axles and housings, for they are longer then the ’66 short axle.

Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB
riocat53

Post by riocat53 »

Well not being that much of a mechanic, that is a lot to digest...I do want to use this as a daily driver...
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Here's a link to another discussion around the conversion:
http://1966vwbeetle.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=343
Boris1966

conversion

Post by Boris1966 »

Hi there,
I fully converted my 66 to 12volt.
I ran it for ages with the 6 volt starter motor, flywheel etc, but i think the starter motor failed so decided to replace it with a 12 volt one and change the fly wheel.....
it never lets me down, better lights and when driving in the dark with rain it is useful to see the wipers dont slow down too much either!
I'd recommend it for a daily driver. The parts arent too expensive but it's obviously n "engine out" job to replace the flywheel.

Good luck.
riocat53

Re: conversion

Post by riocat53 »

Boris1966 wrote:Hi there,
I fully converted my 66 to 12volt.
I ran it for ages with the 6 volt starter motor, flywheel etc, but i think the starter motor failed so decided to replace it with a 12 volt one and change the fly wheel.....
it never lets me down, better lights and when driving in the dark with rain it is useful to see the wipers dont slow down too much either!
I'd recommend it for a daily driver. The parts arent too expensive but it's obviously n "engine out" job to replace the flywheel.

Good luck.
Did you use one of the 6 to 12volt conversion kits I see offered...and has anyone tried this

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=551031

to avoid the whole dropping of the engine...
Thanks again I'm very new to this so any and all advice is welcomed ...I really do want to make this a daily ride...
Boris1966

conversion kit

Post by Boris1966 »

mmmmm....... my boyfriend did the original conversion and I think he used a kit? Not sure?
Leane
Boris1966

Post by Boris1966 »

you can run the car on the conversion kit with the 6 volt starter etc. and not change the flywheel or have to take out the engine. Long term though, you might find that your 6volt starter doesnt like this set up very much?
As mentioned, I ran my bug on a 12 volt conversion, just changing the necessary bulbs etc. for about 2 years before I decided to go the whole hog and take the engine out. The car needed a new clutch anyway so i just combined the labour costs to change the flywheel and starter.
Regards,
Leane,

ps i'll find out more about the kits......
riocat53

Post by riocat53 »

Thanks for all the input...Getting married in 18 days so I think I'll weigh my options and decide after the Honeymoon...
Boris1966

Post by Boris1966 »

Well congratulations and have a great honeymoon! :o)
riocat53

Post by riocat53 »

Well Thank you!
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

empiracer1966 wrote: • Did I forget anything? :o

Brian
That's one of the best and most comprehensive descriptions of the conversion I've ever read. The only other thing I can think of is the 12-volt choke element for the stock carb.

I have both 6-volt and 12-volt cars, and honestly, here in Florida the 6 volt isn't hard to live with. Just make sure you use an Optima battery and spend some time cleaning connections and grounds.
empiracer1966

Post by empiracer1966 »

Congratulations riocat53!! and Thanks Blue Baron for the compliment!

I did forget the “electro-magnetic pilot jet” if your car still has one. :shock: I’m not even sure how to go about getting voltage to it, though it is tied in series with the choke coil. Maybe a hidden voltage drop would work. AND I forgot about the sometimes elusive and expensive “BLU-BOX” for the turn signals and emergency flasher. :oops: I had a bad blue box (actually it was the black box style) that I gutted and replaced with a 4PDT relay and a modern flasher, all concealed inside. I got the idea from the type2.com web site. http://www.type2.com/library/electris/vw-9prong.html

Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB
riocat53

Post by riocat53 »

Due to the fact that I am not much of a mechanic (I paint pictures) I will try & find some one who knows the inner workings of a 66 Air Cooled Classic before I get in there and start messing around...By the way if any one knows of some one in or near the Hudson Valley NY who is familiar and works on these fine cars I would be more than eager to have them give mine a once over and help me with a conversion...Thanks you guys are Great....[/img]
Heather

Post by Heather »

My friend is talking me into the 12 volt but i did want it to be 6 volt for restoration reasons.
Why i am prob going to do 12 volt:
*I want a car alarm on it as i heard my town is known for parts being pop off (stolen)
*If I ever need a jump I can get one and can't w/the 6 volt.
*Lights brighter
Anyone know about the switch you can put in that turns it from 6 to 12 w/ a flip of switch. Would that be any value for a restoration? I still need to weigh the options, but am leaning toward 12 V. Mostly because of he car alarm.