In need of 4 new rims and hubcaps

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

bockegg

In need of 4 new rims and hubcaps

Post by bockegg »

Hi. I need 4 new rims and hubcaps. I'm not going to attempt that powder coating thing and I don't know anyone local that will do it. The rear 2 rims are not good (the car has been sitting on them since 1988). Instead of buying 2 rims and restoring the other 2 (the ones in the front), I'm considering purchasing all 4. Since I'm getting all 4 plus the hubcaps, maybe I will get a better deal too? Does anyone have any idea where to get them?
Thanks, Mike
bockegg

Post by bockegg »

Obviously no ones sells these rims. I decided to give the old rims to my body man and let him re-finish them.
Kiwi66

Post by Kiwi66 »

Hi. I am not sure about the US, but in NZ it is often possible to source excellent used/second hand rims via a web site that is called WWW.trademe.co.nz
Ours is a very small site, but I feel sure that there must be similar web sites in your country that you could browse. Also, often auto wreckers stock all sorts of parts and you may find good rims there. And sometimes people dispose of excellent old rims when they fit mags to their VWs. I hope this helps. Richard
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

When I was looking for mine, I found them on ebay but you can also find them in the classified section of www.thesamba.com
bockegg

Post by bockegg »

Thanks for the help everyone. I will be checking these sites.
Mike
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Boris1966

Hi there

Post by Boris1966 »

THe hub caps were the flat type for the 66. Here's a pic of mine..... you probably already knew that anyway?!!
:)
Attachments
BORIS beachy head 013.jpg
BORIS beachy head 013.jpg (35.99 KiB) Viewed 4926 times
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

'66 and '67 only used a unique hubcap with an inner lip. Later caps won't fit the rims. Because I would never buy reproductions, my only real option is to find them at swap meets. Finding original German caps is not too difficult, but finding nice ones is tough, as they require a good thunk to seat on the rim, most are badly dented.