Headliner...can it be cleaned or re-dyed?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

lilbugger

Headliner...can it be cleaned or re-dyed?

Post by lilbugger »

My headliner has a fair amount of yellow\orange water stains on it, but other than the stains it is in good shape, not sagging or riped. Are there any tricks for cleaning, re-dying, or painting the headliner while it's still installed? If not I may pull it and replace it over the winter. It doesn't have to end up perfect, I just want it cleaned up a bit.

Cheers!

Matt
lilbugger

Post by lilbugger »

O.K., maybe replacing the headliner is the way to go. Can anyone point me to any instructions on removing and installing a headliner?

Thanks,

Matt
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

I have the same issue with my headliner. In fact I'm having a local repair shop in Cleveland Der Wagonwerks working on my headliner, focusing on the back area on both sides of the rear window. It was pretty nasty due to animals nesting there. The car sat in a barn for 6 years. Bill Webner, the owner, gave me a tip last time I talked to him. I'll ask him again and let you know.

His opinion was to keep the original headliner if it is in decent shape with now rips or tears, but it all depends on what you are doing with your car. I like everything to be as original as possible, even if it shows the natural wear over the years. These are 43 year old cars after all!
Attachments
Rear Headliner.jpg
Rear Headliner.jpg (7.86 KiB) Viewed 8165 times
lilbugger

Post by lilbugger »

That would be great if he has some type of cleaning tip. I wonder if lightly fogging the headliner with a flat white spray paint would help hide some of the stains? I'm not looking for perfection here, I just want to clean it up a little, here's a pic...
Attachments
IMG_4494.JPG
IMG_4494.JPG (30.25 KiB) Viewed 8159 times
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

You need to be careful. Some of the headliner may have the dots painted on. Check the back and front near the front and rear windows. I have two small sections with painted dots. I think that's how they did it. You can use the orange hand cleaner (without the gritty stuff) and gently try to clean the stains. GENTLY, gently. I've also used GOO GONE and it helps a little...and bonus the interior smells better for a while.
Attachments
Bill is a genius. He had old material in his bins. It's lighter, but still matches the original style and color.
Bill is a genius. He had old material in his bins. It's lighter, but still matches the original style and color.
DSC01515.jpg (6.96 KiB) Viewed 8156 times
This is the spot repair done by Der Wagonwerks.
This is the spot repair done by Der Wagonwerks.
DSC01513.jpg (6.82 KiB) Viewed 8156 times
charstuff

Post by charstuff »

my bug also has some wear and stains on the headliner, it is also bit ripped, but im tight on time and money and am wondering if there is a simple way to ,not create perfection, but just maybe keep it from ripping anymore?
Athen_TL

Post by Athen_TL »

Well, mine was looking like crap and also had a tear in it. So i decided to replace it.

It is actually not as hard as it seems. What i have to admit though is that i went for the "cheap" solution without the separate frame on the rear window.

It took me (with the help of a friend) 2 nights to install it. The only point that in my opinion should not be overlooked is that it should be warm enough in the garage you do the job. Otherwise the vynil will not stretch well and you might end up with wrinkles.
KJobi

Post by KJobi »

It has always been the headliner that got to be the challenging problem in a vehicle particularly when there is a stain or uncomfortable smell. Cleaning a headliner properly can help extend its life by years, possibly decades. This had been helpful for me, How to clean your car headliner.