Installing Sapphire 3 Radio

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

larryho

Installing Sapphire 3 Radio

Post by larryho »

I am having some difficulties with installing the Sapphire 3 radio to the car. Inserting the radio to the dash slot is no problem but the radio is lose and do not hold properly.
Even with fixing a bracket at the back to try and hold the radio in place does not help.
Am I missing something ? Can someone suggest the correct way to do this so that my radio will be firmly in place in the dash slot.
Thanks
branston

Post by branston »

Have you got a facia plate for the inside of the car and a reinforcing plate for the trunk side? they sandwich the dash metal and the support steady's the radio body
larryho

Post by larryho »

Thanks Branston. Maybe this is what is missing when I bought the Sapphire 3. Really do not know how it looks like. Anyway you can send me a picture for me to try and find one ?
Hope this plate or plates will solve my installation problem or I will have a dangling radio.
Much appreciated. Larry
Last edited by larryho on Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
branston

Post by branston »

larryho wrote:Thanks Brandon. Maybe this is what is missing when I bought the Sapphire 3. Really do not know how it looks like. Anyway you can send me a picture for me to try and find one ?
Hope this plate or plates will solve my installation problem or I will have a dangling radio.
Much appreciated. Larry
Hi Larry,

Look closely at the mounting arrangement on page 4 here:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/man ... sedans.php

The exploded view shows the plate on the trunk side of the dash.

Thank-you samba
larryho

Post by larryho »

Thanks Branston. I am sure that with the information you have so kindly given to me I will be able to put it right.
branston

Post by branston »

larryho wrote:Thanks Branston. I am sure that with the information you have so kindly given to me I will be able to put it right.
And if you need a photo let me know. Mine is currently out of the car. You should find one for sale on Samba fairly easily