Rear brakes

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

ljmlaw

Rear brakes

Post by ljmlaw »

I am having trouble with my left rear brake getting hot. All the rest are doing fine. I have adjusted them and then replaced the wheel cylinders and it is still getting hot. Not as hot as it was but still getting hot. Is there anything else I should replace.
empiracer1966

Post by empiracer1966 »

ljmlaw

Are you sure it's the brakes causing the heat and not the wheel bearings? Just a thought... :?

Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Replace the rubber hoses in the rear brake lines. They become constricted with age, and the springs don't have the pressure to close the wheel cylinders and push the fluid back to the master cylinder.
empiracer1966

Post by empiracer1966 »

Very good point Blue Baron!!
I've even seen them completly swell shut! and you wouldn't even know it by lookin at them! I took a pair of side cutters and cross cut the hose to verify that it was infact swelled completly shut! :shock: And the hose wasn't but a couple of years old! Must have been a cheap replacement! :evil:

Brian
2 "BUG" infested garages='57 rag top, '61 recently sold, 2-'64s, 2-'66s 1 s.r. other is a standard, "66 Deluxe Bus-recently sold, '73 & a '74 bugs, 2 kids and a Beautiful, encouraging Wife with a 2 tone "Retro Look" '01 "Sport" turbo NB