I'm the new guy

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
casamagana

I'm the new guy

Post by casamagana »

Hello all. Just got my first Bug. Just happens to be a '66. Typed 1966 Beetle into a search and here I am. I've all ready found a ton of information to help with some of the issues I've had with the car.
Thanks ahead of time.
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Welcome! :D

Alex
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Welome to the forum Casamagana! Glad the site provided some help for you already! Make sure you post a picture at some point so we can all see your '66.
casamagana

Some pictures of my "new" car

Post by casamagana »

Here are a few pictures of the new car.
    Attachments
    I've add a vacuum distributor and removed the fuel filter since this picture was taken.
    I've add a vacuum distributor and removed the fuel filter since this picture was taken.
    1966 4.JPG (69.96 KiB) Viewed 6147 times
    1966 3.JPG
    1966 3.JPG (73.56 KiB) Viewed 6147 times
    1966 2.JPG
    1966 2.JPG (70.67 KiB) Viewed 6147 times
    jmartini
    Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Very nice looking!
    rokemester

Post by rokemester »

Where did you find the car? Is it running better with the vacuum distributor? Nice looking Bug!
    casamagana

Post by casamagana »

Thanks rokemester. It was one of those friend of a friend deals. The previous owner (PO) was the original owner. Car came with an incredible amount of paperwork: window sticker, sales contract, service receipts, etc. The PO stated they never intended to keep it this long. They just never got around to selling it.

The car has over 350K miles on it. The PO just always kept the car in very good shape. Whatever the car needed, it got.

The car drives smoother with the vacuum distributor. Feels like the same power. For lack of a technical term, the car drove nervously with the 009. It never hesitated or sputtered, just wasn't smooth. I'm not knocking the 009 at all. I've used 009s on Weber motors in the past with success. I don't think it was the best match with the 30 PICT-1 carb.
    rokemester

Post by rokemester »

I've been thinking of doing changing out my distributor as well. Where did you find your replacement?
    casamagana

Distributor Question

Post by casamagana »

I found it in a box of old parts that came with the car. Cleaned and lubed it up, tested the vacuum can, installed it, set the dwell and timing. I consider myself lucky it worked.

There is a cool distributor/carburetor listing on another web site. According to the information I found there, the distributor I'm using is for a '67 Beetle.
    Samurai

wow

Post by Samurai »

NICE!!