Order of door reasembly?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

scott66bug

Order of door reasembly?

Post by scott66bug »

I am putting my bug back together and I am having a heck of a time with the doors.

I installed
1) the outer scraper
2) the butterfly window
3) then the inner scraper
4) placed the windo in the door
5) window regulator installed
6) tried unsuccessfully to lift window into track so I could attach regulator to window...
I am stuck so I am opting for sleep before I try again...also hoping for advice;)
branston

Post by branston »

Oh I feel your pain. I did this job back in April.

I'm no stranger to rebuilding doors, but the pair of '66 doors I did last drove me crazy.

I will even wrote down the order of re-assembly to help some other lost soul. Tonight I can't find my notes in amongst the piles of other notes I have. It was a real pain to get it right.

First, you did put the door latch and remote opener in place first? you just don't mention it. If you didn't you'll need to take out most of the window parts to get it in place.

Your re-assembly order is just fine. I had the same problem, everything assembled and no way the window would slide up the felt channel once it was in the groove.

I think you may have the top loop of the window regulator in the way of the glass. It must be tucked up against the inner face of the door, kind of where your elbow would want to rest.

Take a look at the attached images. you'll see one close-up where the top of the tube is in the window aperture, wrongly positioned. This will block the window's path in the felt channel. You need to get it tucked out of the way right in the top of the inside of the door.

You may have to leave the lowest bolt out of the regulator mechanism to make space for your knuckles.

The loop bit I mentioned should have the 3 pieces of foam in place to prevent the regulator from rattling inside the door.

Look at my photos, you should see what I mean. The last image shows the top loop of the regulator poking into the glass channel.

Good luck
scott66bug

Post by scott66bug »

Branston,

Thanks for sharing the pain...and yes I left it out but all of the door latching mechansim is in.

At this point I am tempted to take out the regulator, slide the glass all the way up and hold it...then put the regulator in...

what a bear of a job!

if you find your notes I would love to see them
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

has anyone had luck in replacing the return spring for the door opening latch?
scott66bug

Post by scott66bug »

Solved the issue

You have to putthe regulator in before the butterfly window post...oops:(

doors are coming together beautifully...by tomorrow I should be 99% done...just a few more little things likt repainting wiper moter and getting a new chrome trim strip for hood

will post pictures on restoration site tomorrow

yippee
branston

Post by branston »

I did warn you! But I'm glad you got there.