My UK RHD '66 - owned for 3 years now.

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
tofufi

Post by tofufi »

Thanks 8) - I've been getting loads of advice from all my friends who can paint, and slowly taking everything on board... I've bought the paint already, I'll be using 2k paint throughout... quite difficult to get over here now due to the environmental regs on it :)

I love my bug in the multi-coloured state, but I hope it'll look even better when it's all painted fully :D
Oh, and I have two '1300' badges - one used, one unused... but they won't be fitted to the car for a while yet :)

;)
tofufi

Post by tofufi »

Top half in Primer...

Black paint...

Grey stonechip

And black again on top of the stonechip :D

Obviously, the finish isn't as smooth as before the stonechip, but it should provide a longer lasting finish with it...

Huge thanks go to Lucy (Shamrockez) and Sarah (CCR Beaver) for the help with the prep and paint today... :)
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

The pan is looking sweet! How nice to have great helpers. Is the stone chip finish have a rubberized feel to it? Do you know how it is formulated? We have companies here in the States that spray on a truck bed liner. I wonder if this is similar.

Thanks for providing all the pictures. It is a great learning experience for those of us who are contemplating a full blown body off restoration.

Mike
tofufi

Post by tofufi »

rokemester wrote:The pan is looking sweet! How nice to have great helpers. Is the stone chip finish have a rubberized feel to it? Do you know how it is formulated? We have companies here in the States that spray on a truck bed liner. I wonder if this is similar.

Thanks for providing all the pictures. It is a great learning experience for those of us who are contemplating a full blown body off restoration.

Mike
Thanks Mike, I appreciate you reading the thread :)

I wouldn't be anywhere without some help from my friends - my friends have shown me how to weld (4 years ago) and are now showing my how to paint :D - without them encouraging me, the car probably would have been scrapped by now...

The stonechip is essentially the same stuff that many modern cars (at least in the UK) have underneath, and up the sills. I can't find a decent photo of an example, but if you take a look at a few modern cars, and sometimes the sills have a textured lower part which is then over-painted in body colour.
This is the stuff I've used - I'll be using it on my inner wheelarches too, to provide body colour around the wheels whilst still have protection against stonechips :) I've never used it before, but it gives a rubbery finish which ought to provide a bit of sound deadening too, I guess. I'm not entirely sure what chemicals are in it...

It is HBbody 950, as shown here...

http://www.hbbody.com/prod1.htm

This is my first restoration, so I've never used it before. But it is what the paint shop recommended, so it ought to be OK :)

Jim.
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Great to see the progress 8)

Alex.
tofufi

Post by tofufi »

Cheers :D

Got the other side done now, too ;)

Ready to be bolted back into a rolling chassis when I get home from university at Christmas ;)

:D
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

You are a most patient lad! Keep your mind on your studies and we'll try to wait patiently for your next stages of assembly.

Mike
tofufi

Post by tofufi »

Thanks Mike :D

Just a quicky update, as I've taken a few days home - I get fidgety if I go too long without getting dirt under my fingernails from playing cars...

I now have front suspension, all set up and standard :D

More to come at some point... next job is swapping the gearbox for a 1500 ratio one - could be fun ;)