From Romania

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
Paolo Dal Chiele

From Romania

Post by Paolo Dal Chiele »

Hello everybody,

my name is Paolo, I am Italian but I am living, working, restoring and driving beetles in Bucharest (Romania). I own a '56 and a '60, and I was happy with them until some weeks ago, when a friend of me offered for 100 Euro the "wreck" of an old beetle, "may be good for parts". The car was in Brasov, a town in the middle of Transylvania (!), some 200 km far from Bucharest, so I purchased is without having even seen it.
The car spent the last 10 years abandoned in a yard without any protection.
Few weeks later, when I had the opportunity to inspect the "wreck", I realized that:
1. Under a thin layer of rust, the body is not in such a bad shape;
2. The model is a european standard;
3. The rear side of the car has been heavily alterated, but the front side and, most important, the interior have not been modified. All the specific items of standard model are still in their original position;
4. The car has chassis and engine matching numbers;
5. The car was one of the first 1966 m.y. produced, as confirmed by the chassis number (116 004 347) and engine number (D 0007293).
Enough for me to decide to take the car off the list of wrecks, and include it in the list of projects.

And this is how I became part of the community of the '66 m.y. beetle ...
Attachments
04.JPG
04.JPG (80.76 KiB) Viewed 1945 times
03.JPG
03.JPG (89.2 KiB) Viewed 1945 times
02.JPG
02.JPG (93.47 KiB) Viewed 1945 times
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

Great find Paolo! I don't know much about Standard Beetles, but whenever someone finds one and commits to restoring it the VW community rejoices. So good for you. I can't wait to hear what others have to say about your find. I hope you can keep us posted with pictures as you make progress with your restoration. Welcome to the forum and the community of 66 Bug owners. I haven't seen many Standards discussed here.

Mike
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Paulo and welcome to the Forum - I hope you will keep us up to date on your restoration.