engines

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

ljmlaw

engines

Post by ljmlaw »

What size engines will fit in a 66 VW bettle
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

It depends on what you want to do. If you mean an Air cooled VW engine, pretty much anything using type one components up to a 2332 The physical size difference between them isn't all that much, and you can fit a pretty healthy lump in before you have to start trimming sheet metal. Type IV will fit as well but requires some metal fab.

You can stuff pretty much anything you want in back there provided you're willing to work the sheet metal to accomodate it. I've seen Honda B20 engines, Mazda Rotaries, Suby waterboxers, Pinto 4 cyl, Corvair 6's, even 911 pancake motors. I've seen 2 small block v8 bugs too, though both were front engine conversions. I doubt you have that much room in a beetle engine bay.

Did you have something specific in mind?
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

The '66 model year is unique for one thing, the1300 badge on the back that signifies a one-year-only engine for North America. You can stuff in whatever you like, but I prefer to keep the 1300.
ljmlaw

engine

Post by ljmlaw »

Thanks, I think I will leave the 1300 too. I was just interested. Found a 914 and was just wondering how much work it would be to put it in.
fatalifeaten

Re: engine

Post by fatalifeaten »

ljmlaw wrote:Thanks, I think I will leave the 1300 too. I was just interested. Found a 914 and was just wondering how much work it would be to put it in.
That's the same as a VW type IV engine. You can do it, but it does need some trimming of the engine compartment sheet metal to fit. Jake Raby's a big TIV guru, his site's probably got the info you'd need if you want to go that route.
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

What year is the 914? What kind of shape is it in? Any pictures of your bug and the Porsche go-kart?
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Let's not oversimplify a Jake Raby conversion. There's a huge amount of conversion required, and in the end, there's not much left of the type 4 engine other than the longblock.

I suppose it depends on whether you want a 1966 Volkswagen that's a 1966 Volkswagen, or something the factory never envisioned.