Battery Dead After Long Trip

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

palmspringsbeetle

Battery Dead After Long Trip

Post by palmspringsbeetle »

I just purchased my 66 today but had to drive about 90 miles home in the dark using the lights. By the time I got home the lights were barely working and battery dead. According to the seller, the battery has charged fine in the past, but I wonder if they drove much at night with lights? Is it poss the battery just cant charge fast enough to run the lights for a long period of time (abt 3 hours)? I also just thought of something.... the last 30 min of the trip is downhill (mostly) so the engine wasn't reving much---could that be it? Thanks :(
Kiwi66

Post by Kiwi66 »

Hi. if it were me, I would check out the generator with a volt meter to ensure it was working correctly. Hope this helps.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

Generally speaking, if the red speedometer light goes out and stays out after the car starts, the battery is charging. (A little glow at idle is okay.)

Sounds like you bought a car with a dud battery. After checking to make sure the generator is charging at the battery terminals, I would recommend that you purchase an Optima battery. It's dry cell, holds a strong charge longer and won't rust the floor.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Also make sure that all of your cables are connected tightly and grounded correctly. Clean any corrosion or replace anything that looks suspect.