Hello from Hitchcock, Texas

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
george4888

Hello from Hitchcock, Texas

Post by george4888 »

Hi, everyone. I am George Karacostas, age 63, been an owner of VW Bugs since mid '70's,,but the 1966 Model year has always been my favorite,,having owned many of them and presently have only one 1966 Beetle, which I drive every day. I own and operate a VW repair shop and have for the past 27 years, full time. So, time permitting, maybe I can answer any weird questions that others cannot figure out on these cars, but I guess there are many people that know as much as me. I have drag raced a few of my street 1966's bugs in the past, had one in 1997 and I represented Houston Raceway Park at the Texas ET Finals in Dallas that year, and that was my street car also. I will post some pictures of my present 66, found it in Monroe, La, not running, no brakes, but looked good to me. Two days later, all was okay on it, after some 20 hours of work and only $200 spent. It was the best VW purchase I have ever made,,so I am keeping this one forever. Oh, Hitchcock is just S/E of Houston, only 35 miles from that city,,,very close to Galveston, if anyone knows where that it located,, a small city, but close to everything, only 15 minutes from the beaches. My customers are the greatest people on Earth, some live 60 miles from me. Peace to all. George K. ---
HogChief1

Hi George

Post by HogChief1 »

Hey there George!

I'm a newbie as well, and am glad to see an experienced mechanic is on line! Have you taken Type 1's apart and put them back together by chance? Mine is pretty stripped down right now, and I'm ready to put the body back on the chasis and put things back together. It's a pretty fundamental machine, but there are quirks I'm finding out!

We'll keep in touch I'm sure!

Bruce Fuerbringer
Eau Claire, WI
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi George - Welcome to the forum - great to have a mechanic here in the membership rolls!
george4888

George from Hitchcock

Post by george4888 »

Thanks , everyone. I would guess there are some smart people already on this web site that answer your questions,,but if they don't have an answer,,then try me. You can reach me faster using either putting out a question that everyone can read in the forum or by writing direct to me at my email address of georgekaracostas@aol.com . I will try to answer some of your questions. Maybe, there is something I have seen in my daily repairs that othes have not noticed, somehting simple that gets something fixed,,,or not ?

George K. -----