Fuel line question here

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

BlueBoppy

Fuel line question here

Post by BlueBoppy »

hey all

i just got a replacement tank for my 66, i got everything to go with it but the new fuel lines. i have seen two sizes for it. i have no idea which to get. right now i have a 1600cc i know i know i am a trader to the 1300cc but this is what came in it when i got it. so what size line do i need? help please

blue :)
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

I was able to get the cloth covered fuel line from Wolfsburg West, but you can get it on-line from a lot of places. I don't know where you live but I was able to find a local foreign auto parts store that carries a bunch of air cooled auto parts and they had both the proper cloth covered fuel line (gray) and the brake line for dual systems (blue).

The fuel line is gray with orange lettering that says Made in Germany and a part number. Here is a pic.
Attachments
Stock Fuel Line
Stock Fuel Line
DSC01146.jpg (8.22 KiB) Viewed 14885 times
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

If you're not looking for 100% factory correct, good ol' 1/4" rubber fuel line sold at every auto parts store in the universe will do the job just fine for a 1600.
rokemester

Post by rokemester »

I agree the regular fuel line works fine. I kind of like the cloth covered line because you can immediately see if it's dry or wet from fuel if there is a leak.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

fatalifeaten wrote:If you're not looking for 100% factory correct, good ol' 1/4" rubber fuel line sold at every auto parts store in the universe will do the job just fine for a 1600.
Never use American neoprene gas hose in a Volkswagen. Use only German fabric covered hose. Any VW parts specialty vendor should have it.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

Blue Baron wrote:
fatalifeaten wrote:If you're not looking for 100% factory correct, good ol' 1/4" rubber fuel line sold at every auto parts store in the universe will do the job just fine for a 1600.
Never use American neoprene gas hose in a Volkswagen. Use only German fabric covered hose. Any VW parts specialty vendor should have it.
Hey BB, any particular reason? I've not had an issue (yet) and have used it for years.

What about steel braided? Most racing associations forbid the use of the cloth line within the engine compartment and require steel braided instead for safety.
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

The main reason is because it has MADE IN GERMANY printed on it, and is the OEM type installed at the factory. Why use improper equipment on your Volkswagen when OEM style is readily available from any Volkswagen specialty house?

Also, the steel covering on braided line can conduct heat leading to possible vapor lock.
armandjones82

Post by armandjones82 »

This was a very informative way to see how to do it for your beetle. A good vw parts would really compensate all the stuff here, so that it would be more better than before. Thanks for this one!
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

I'm just ready my replies. :lol: Sorry for sounding so curt. I've seen too many engine fires caused by improperly fitted fuel hose. A good rule of thumb is if the hose you're using needs hose clamps to keep from leaking, it's dangerous and should be replaced with the proper German stuff.