New guy here!

This is the place to introduce yourself and tell us a little about yourself.....
winnabow66

New guy here!

Post by winnabow66 »

Greetings all, My name is Dan and i live in SE North Carolina with my wife Laura. Laura and I have been in the market for a Beetle for a while now and we think we may have found one. For sale locally here is a 66 that is in fairly decent shape for a price we're willing to pay. The unfortunate thing is that it does not have the stock motor, it's been fitted with a 1600. I know, I know, I can hear the gasp from here,LOL. Anyway, what I was interested in knowing is, is it difficult to get aa stock 1300? I've looked on a few parts sights and don't see one listed. Is the block the same as the 1600? It seems a bit more difficult to find parts for this car being that it was a one year wonder. Actually, while looking for the stock 1300 is when I came across this site. I had a 1967 Type 2 years ago and used to get parts from Rocky Mountain Motorworks but they seem to not be around any longer. Is there any online or catalogs that you'd reccomend for getting parts? Anyway, reall I just wanted to drop by and say hello, sorry for my rambling on and on.

Thanks, Dan
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Dan: I'm not sure you will easily find a 1300 but it probably can be done. www.thesamba.com classified section might be your best bet. Don't feel like you are the only 66 owner out there without hte original engine - the majority are probably running around with different engines.

I buy most of my stuff from wolfsburgwest.com but there are others that I think I have listed on my main sites Links page.

Best of luck ion your search and welcome to the forum!
winnabow66

Post by winnabow66 »

Thanks John. Well, we took the leap. We'll be picking up our '66 tomorrow. We are both so excited. It runs and drives great and the body is in great shape. Besides the motor not being stock, I know the stearing wheel isn't stock and i'm pretty sure that the seats aren't either. As far as the seats go, I think I read that the backrests shoud lock and use a leaver to push forward, these don't. Other then that, we are so stoked and can't wait to see her in our garage. I'll have tons of questions in the near future, so bare with me.

Dan
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Congrats! That is great news - I hope she brings you both a ton of happiness!
rokemester

There may be a couple of 1300s

Post by rokemester »

I just happened to see your post and another post on Samba. This guys has serial numbers of engines and there appear to be a couple of 1300s in the mix. Check it out and welcome to the forum.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=362918
winnabow66

Post by winnabow66 »

THanks so much for the heads up and the welcome!

Dan