Tyre Inflation Pressure?

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

Kiwi66

Tyre Inflation Pressure?

Post by Kiwi66 »

G'day. Can you help pse? What are the correct tyre inflation pressure for my 66 Beetle running 165 15 radial tyres pse. Many thanks
couion

Post by couion »

I run 25 psi. in the front and 32 psi in the rear. Not sure what the metric converson is.
Kiwi66

Thanks

Post by Kiwi66 »

Many thanks. Much appreciated. I dont have an original hamdbook aand none of my repair manuals provided the information.
larryho

Post by larryho »

couion wrote:I run 25 psi. in the front and 32 psi in the rear. Not sure what the metric converson is.
The Bentley Official Manual recommend front 16 psi (1.1 kg/cm2) and rear at 24 psi (1.7 kg/cm2) for 5.60 x 15 tires.
Obviously using radial tires we should increased the pressure but by how much and are the ones quoted by Couion correct ? I am using 165 x 15 radials and my tire pressures are way lower than Couions.
Thanks Couion, I better increase the tire pressure. Will be glad if we are told the correct pressures both for the radial and the bias tires.
Could this be included in the Technical information for all to see since most of us (me included) do not have an official 66 VW manual.
couion

Post by couion »

These are just what I prefer. The tires you run and the handling characteristics you desire will dictate what you will run as well.
Kiwi66

Post by Kiwi66 »

Hi Guys. I too didn't have a 66 Owners Manual. So I searched the internet and found a free download for an official 1966 VW Beetle 1300 manual. The site is http://www.vw-resource.com/1966manual.html if you want to look it up. The manual is for the Australian made vehicle ( the same as mine) so there may be some minor variations compared with US models but should still provide some great info. There are around 70 pages of the content of the manual. Really great to find.
I will start a new topic to tell others about the manual. Cheers. Richard
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

couion wrote:I run 25 psi. in the front and 32 psi in the rear. Not sure what the metric converson is.
This seems a little high. I like to run 22 front and 28 rear.

The factory recommended lower tire pressures because they assumed Americans wanted a soft ride, but this was at the expense of handling.