My brakes won't work

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

sparvaresh

My brakes won't work

Post by sparvaresh »

This is my first post. But I'm in need of dire help. I have a 1973 VW Super Beetle that I am restoring. Right now, the brakes are giving me a hard time. I've replaced the brake cylinders on all four wheels and replaced the master cylinder. There are no leaks that I can see, but no matter how many times I pump the brake, only fluid comes out. No air. And the pedal never stiffens, it still goes straight to the floor. Does anyone know what could be the problem?
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi sparvaresh: I moved your post to the mechanical/technical area so it would get better visibility.

It still sounds like there is air in your brake lines. If you are trying to bleed them by yourself you will always have air in your lines. This is a two person job. One person who is at the brake pedal and one person at the bleeder screw. You need to depress the brake pedal slowly and when fluid begins to come out of the line then close off the bleeder bolt. Once the pedal goes up then it sucks air back in the line so you don't want that bolt open as the pedal goes back up. Patience is a virtue on bleeding brake lines. If you have done it this way and you still have a problem then perhaps air is getting into the system some other way but I would think you would see a fluid leak then.

There are others here that may be able to give you more advise. Good luck. John
couion

Post by couion »

I agree with John. PATIENCE is the key. The super beetles are hard to bleed. Some parts of the system are above the master cylinder and air rises to the top. Just work it like John said and be patient.