Stock sunroof

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

rokemester

Stock sunroof

Post by rokemester »

Does anyone have experience or have heard of anyone adding a stock sunroof to a bug. I had a sunroof in a 65 beetle I owned years ago and it was really cool. I just know that sunroofs can be tricky beasts with leaks etc.
SeeBlauKafer

Re: Stock sunroof

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

rokemester wrote:Does anyone have experience or have heard of anyone adding a stock sunroof to a bug. I had a sunroof in a 65 beetle I owned years ago and it was really cool. I just know that sunroofs can be tricky beasts with leaks etc.
I suppose you could have the sunroof section of a donor car grafted onto your roof. I have seen tech articles where older cars with the large sliding cloth sunroofs have had that procedure performed. It requires advanced bodyworking skills to accomplish properly (which I don't have unfortunately).

The '66 model year had a steel sliding sunroof operated by a hand cranked cable/pulley system which retracted it open/closed. As far as leaks go, with the stock setup you should keep all drain holes clear of debris. Parts suppliers like Wolfsburg West often carry the original style sponge rubber sunroof seals and other components that wear out over time.
'66 Type I