6v to 12v

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Ah Majic smoke!I remember them days, I think? :roll:
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
donmdsc

Post by donmdsc »

Hi, I'm new to the forum and I need to jump in on this thread. I've got a 66 that's fairly rough in the body but pretty good on the mechanical side. The prior owner had the 1300 rebuilt into a 1600 and converted some of the car over to 12 volts. Some is the operative word there. I pulled the old flasher unit and just ran a straight two prong flasher in series with the turn signals. For now I'm just leaving the hazard system for later. Now though, I've still got the original 6 volt wiper motor coupled with a 67 switch. I was able to wire it up thanks to one of the other posts. It ran for a moment and then promptly blew the fuse. Am I better off getting the motor rebuilt as 12 volt or using an inline step down to bring the voltage down to 6volts? How much should I expect to pay to have it rebuilt?
Thanks.