Help! Electrical (again)

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

spokaneDave

Help! Electrical (again)

Post by spokaneDave »

OK, I have been struggling with an electrical issue for weeks and I cannot, for the life of me, solve my problem.

Here are my issues:

1. No right blinkers, front or back
2. no "clicking" sound or light indicator for right side blinkers
3. No brake lights.
4. with the emergency flashers on, on the left side rear, the top bulb flashes, and on the right side, the bottom bulb flashes.
5. I have a red/white wire that isnt attached to anything coming off of the right rear tail light connect in the engine compartment (I have no clue where it goes)

I have changed all bulbs and fuses. I have traced all wiring and checked grounds. I bought a 12v black box from wolfsberg west and hooked up all that I could.

Also another troubling issue: Like I said above, when the emergency flashers are on, the back left top bulb blinks. If I unscrew the aluminum housing, the bottom blinks. When i go to screw it in, the bottom stops and the top bulb starts flashing. It is just the opposite on the right side. Could that be a ground issue?

Like I said, I am lost and any bit of info would be great. Thanks! :?
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Hey Dave. The red /white wire is your crossover wire for your right turn brake light..Open your engine compartment on the right side remove the cardboard panel,there you will find a wiring connector union type that wire will plug into.and yes by loosing those screws you loose your ground. they have to be clean and tight.
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
spokaneDave

OK

Post by spokaneDave »

I have looked everywhere for the "cardboard" panel and I just cant seem to place it. Im sure if smelled like beer, I would be able to find it. Where exactly is it located? By connecting that wire, with it help with the brakes and right turn signal? Thanks
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

The panel is the liner of your inner right rear quarter wheel housing. I believe your license plate light wire might also be tied into the same connector.just follow the wires.
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
spokaneDave

????

Post by spokaneDave »

I cant find what you are referring to! I have looked inside the engine compartment on the right side in the fender well, and nothing. Just some old remnants of insulation and glue. My 66' had been converted to a 12v. I followed the license plate wire to a 3 way connector, but those three spots are accounted for, and those wires run to the right tail light. Could the problem be in my turn signal switch?

Also, my brake lights arent working, would there be a loose connection on the brake light switch? I have looked at a drawing of where the switch might be located, but I need a better reference. Point blank, where is it locate?

Thanks
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Dave the red /white wire from your right turn light should connect into the same connector as your license plate light and tail light. there are two connectors one is a dbl and one single. the single connector should one wire coming in 2 out one to tail -1 to lic plate light. the other connector has 2 wires in and 2 out one to tail one to your turn r/wht trace the dbl connector back over to the drivers side turnr/wht goes to a connector at the turn signal switch where it splits to the front and back.which there has to be 2 conectors on that right side.in the engine compartment.I amlooking at the schematic in my haynes manual.I don't have wire colors listed just where they go. the hot wire goes to your fuse box and is fused. changing to 12v should have nothing to do with chasis wiring other then changing bulbs.If you can't find the dbl connector i'l;l have to take trip to the barn and dig mine out and take a look at it.
spokaneDave

Give it a shot

Post by spokaneDave »

I will give it another shot.

Do you have any experience installing a new wiring harness? If so, how difficult are they to install and does it have a pretty good set of instructions?

Thanks
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

No I haven't but that dbl connector is just a union and there should be room for one more wire there where that one got pulled out of.unless the connector fell down
spokaneDave

???

Post by spokaneDave »

I searched for a connector other than what connects the right taile light and I am at a loss. Do you think I should join the red/white (or is it white/red???) with the license plate wire and then plug that into the 3-way connector?
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

That 3 way connector is there a open place spot? If not no Look for a set of wires coming from the drivers sidemaybe got cut off or dropped down behind something.
scott66bug

wire harness

Post by scott66bug »

I have installed a new wiring harness and it is very time consuming. Directions are ok...but not a simple task for the un-initiated
Boris1966

hiya

Post by Boris1966 »

There may also be an "earth problem"
electrics are soooooo complicated. I have a problem with my lights too, keep blowing a fuse. Anway..... have you checked and cleaned all the earths, including the number plate light earth. dirty/rusty/bad connecting earths often cause strange light problems?

:?: Leane x