gas gauge adjustment

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

bill hauck

gas gauge adjustment

Post by bill hauck »

Is there some way to adjust the float for the gas gauge?? ran out last night and the gauge showed a quarter of a tank.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

If memory serves me right, there is a screw behind the gauge that adjusts the reading. So with your tank empty, turn the screw so that your gauge reads empty - Note: Don't be surprised if the guage doesn't read completely full after you do this but the good news is that you will know when you are going to run out. Good luck.
bill hauck

fuel gauge adj.

Post by bill hauck »

Thanks!! I'll have to check this out next time the tank is empty.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I adjusted it once to the full line - that was a big mistake because then it looked like I still had some reserve when I was empty. Best to set it to the empty line, that's been my experience anyway :oops:
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

If adjusting it doesn't help, see if your float has full range of travel (pop the cover off and see if the bar touches metal), if not clean it
A volksie thanks,
Max
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

My float's got the adjustment screw under the cover cap... Never looked to see if there was a second on the back of the gauge.

FWIW, I adjusted mine to empty. If it's full I don't really care if the needle's off, as long as it's accurate when I need go fill up! :)
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

That's the best approach, the most important thing is to know when you are going to run out of gas.
exprof

Post by exprof »

Doesn't the "R" on the gauge stand for "reserve," and shouldn't there be a little gas left in the tank when the needle reaches the "R?" I recall that maybe there should be about a gallon or so left in the tank that that point.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

exprof wrote:Doesn't the "R" on the gauge stand for "reserve," and shouldn't there be a little gas left in the tank when the needle reaches the "R?" I recall that maybe there should be about a gallon or so left in the tank that that point.

I thought it was "Really better find gas or I'm pushin'!" :)
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I put a gallon of gas in my tank and put the needle at empty. That way I
know when I'm getting down to the Empty mark I need to start looking hard. I rarely let mine go that far down anyway as the float tends to move up and down quite a bit in the tank when the car starts and stops.
Last edited by jmartini on Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
aa1001

Fuel float adjustment

Post by aa1001 »

I just filled it up with gas and thinking the float adjuster was the way to get the fuel gauge light bulb out, turned & turned it (counter-clockwise). When I realized what I was doing I turned it back - but it still says empty.
So my 2 questions:
1:How do I get the fuel gauge to read accurately again?
2:Where's the light bulb?Tell me it's not behind that impossible-to-turn dial just above the float screw on the back of the gauge.
aa1001

Found fuel light,still inaccurate fuel gauge

Post by aa1001 »

I got the bulb out that lights up the fuel gauge. Still having an 'empty' reading on a full tank though..