Just bought a 1966 bug, help pls!

Here's the place to come to post when you have questions relating to technical issues or mechanical questions on the 1966 model year.

chrissie

Just bought a 1966 bug, help pls!

Post by chrissie »

Female here,23.

I just bought my first car a 1966 bug. I really really love it! Problem is I think my bug's losing power,it's like the baterry is not charging.

It just died on me yesterday, it won't start. i'm not sure what to do. when i turn the ignition key, there's no click.

what should i do? what should i check? i'm located in the philippines and i am not familiar on which shop can help me fix my bug. :cry:
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Chrissie and Welcome! Start by checking the connections on your battery (battery is under the rear seat). If they are corroded (will typically look like white powder) they won't allow the battery to charge. You will need to remove them and clean or replace the ends and re-install. Next step if they are ok is to check the generator brushes, they may be worn down and not allowing the battery to charge. Next step if they are ok is to check the Generator and alternator to make sure they are working correctly. Those are the things I would check, there are procedures for all of it in the "Compleate Idiot Book" by John Muir so if you are mechanically inclined you may want to buy a copy (avaialable every day of the week on Amazon.com). If your not mechanically inclined you will need to start shopping for a good VW Mechanic to track down your charging issue and of course do the regular Oil change and valve adjustments. Good luck and let us know how you make out! John
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

jmartini wrote:Hi Chrissie and Welcome! Start by checking the connections on your battery (battery is under the rear seat). If they are corroded (will typically look like white powder) they won't allow the battery to charge. You will need to remove them and clean or replace the ends and re-install. Next step if they are ok is to check the generator brushes, they may be worn down and not allowing the battery to charge. Next step if they are ok is to check the Generator and alternator to make sure they are working correctly. Those are the things I would check, there are procedures for all of it in the "Compleate Idiot Book" by John Muir so if you are mechanically inclined you may want to buy a copy (avaialable every day of the week on Amazon.com). If your not mechanically inclined you will need to start shopping for a good VW Mechanic to track down your charging issue and of course do the regular Oil change and valve adjustments. Good luck and let us know how you make out! John
^ There's all the advice you need Chrissie 8)

Alex.
chrissie

thanks everyone!

Post by chrissie »

hey all!

Thanks for all the advice. i did check on the battery connection and its ok. generator brushes? are they the wires connected to the generator?

Anyway, my bug is up an running. the mechanic changed what he called the condenser. thanks again!

How often do i have to change the oil?
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Chrissie! The brushes are inside the generator but you install them from outside with a few very small screws. It's difficult to explain but the book would show you some good diagrams that would help. The condensor would not have caused a charging issue.

You should get your oil changed every 3000 miles and have your valve adjustments done at the same time - failure to do the valve adjustments will have dire consequences to the engine (one where you will need to leave your vehicle on the side of the road and have it towed for a rebuild :shock: )

Hope this helps - Happy Riding! John
chrissie

questions again

Post by chrissie »

hi all. I had a really scary experience today. i was on the freeway,i stopped for gas, bumblebee wouldn't start :shock: i had to clutch start to make him start working. I was back on the freeway in 3 mins, then all of a sudden i lost everything that works with electricity, no blinkers, no lights,no horn, etc.. :cry: i just kept moving and took the next exit then pulled over. all of a sudden everything started working again.

why is this happening? :cry:

i really love my bug,help pls!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Sounds like one of the terminals to your battery is corroded to me (Perhaps the negative). I'm sure this is all related to the original problem you talked about.
couion

Post by couion »

I have had a similar expierience. Mine was a loose connection at the plug to the ignition switch. The plug had become loose and gotten hot and was losing contact with the switch.
chrissie

you are right!

Post by chrissie »

Thanks guys! you really are good.... :D it is a loose battery connection!

:lol:
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

The one similar experience I had once was when the HOT (thick red) wire quick disconnect came loose from the fuse box on a '70 beetle.

I had just reinstalled the wiper motor and was busy pulling and tugging and must have pulled it away accidentally. :shock:

Anyway, yeah, nothing worked while it was unplugged.

Chrissie, is that a picture of your yellow '66 or is that a similar picture? It's hard to see but it reminds me of a Superbeetle.
'66 Type I
chrissie

hi all

Post by chrissie »

hi v dub lovers, i' ve been so busy lately. it's good to write to you guys again. i'm still having problems, :( sad to say a mitsubishi pajero just backed into my right fender. it was awful. i'd have to get him fixed. i'm still having power problems as well. the mechanic said it is the regulator or the generator.

:cry: bummer!!!!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

oh-oh...trouble always comes in three's! Not that I'm superstitious or anything. :shock:

Once you get your charging issues behind you I'm sure you'll feel much better - hang in there Chrissie!
chrissie

Post by chrissie »

Hi all,

thanks for all the support. I just got back from the mechanic's shop. he fixed bumblebees dent, he also replaced the generator with an alternator. generator was burnt crisp, he said that's the reason why its not charging.

i'm taking him home tomorrow. i pray this is the last time he'd ever have to spend a night the mechanics garage, well not until he gets repainted in april.

thanks again everyone! i hope everything goes well for you all! happy driving!
aa1001

Post by aa1001 »

Hello, I'm new member & have newly adopted red&white 66. Just got it back after a long time in the shop getting it running. It ran great for 70 miles (its trip home) plus a few short trips after. THEN - a week later, drove it 10 feet from garage to mid-driveway, parked it, 2 hours later got in it & it was dead. No click, no lights, no response.
I did this:
Checked battery terminals on the new 6-volt battery. Fluid levels good, terminals tight, a speck maybe of corrosion.
Checked connections to that box that says "Bosch" under deck lid to right of engine. sorry I forgot what that is - voltage regulator?
Checked ignition coil connections.
What do I do next? I don't know the correct connections under the front hood. I took pictures though.
There is no one I know of anymore to work on this car. It's all on me, with your help - I'll be buying the compleat idiot book & should I get the official service manual too?
Thanks - site won't let me attach pictures -