How to keep your Volkswagen Alive - Compleat Idiot Book

Post your beetle book recommendations or reviews here. Please make sure if you are posting pictures that they are sized correctly so that a scroll bar does not appear at the bottom of the screen. If you need help re-sizing photos, please let me know.
jmartini
Administrator

How to keep your Volkswagen Alive - Compleat Idiot Book

Post by jmartini »

How to keep your Volkswagen Alive - A Manual of Step by Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot. John Muir. 477 pages. Soft Cover.

John passed away in 1977, but his legacy lives on through this wonderful book, which will tell you how to maintain your VW (step by step) in terms that anyone can understand and much, much more.

I bought my first copy back in 1975, I wish I still had it. This book taught me all I needed to keep my 66 and 72 running well. It was covered in grease and oil after about a year - and it served me well.

If I could only have one book about VW's - this would be the book. Some have referred to it as the "Bible" of VW repair but it’s really more than that. The '66 model was his personal favorite - need I say more?!! Thank you John Muir!
Attachments
Compleat Idiot Book.jpg
Compleat Idiot Book.jpg (104.02 KiB) Viewed 40619 times
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

Hey John, I was thinking of that one being added to the list.I have my copy and it's always close at hand.John Muir is truly is the guru of VW.When in need of reading material,this book is just down and out fun to read. :lol:
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I couldn't agree more Scruffy!
chris

Post by chris »

someone told me about that book but i never had the chance to take a look at it, but i have been told that its pretty helpful.
chris
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Hi Chris: The thing that is really nice about the book is the way it's structured, like easy to understand drawings and explanations. This book gave me the confidence to do my own valve adjustments and tune-ups when I was 18, and then people I knew started bring their bugs to me for tunes ups. Also as Scruffy said - it's just "down and out fun to read". If you get it I would suggest reading through the book before you even do any work - there’s some great stuff in there that doesn't really even pertain to mechanical repair. You will learn a lot about John Muir and his philosophy on life as well. I always enjoyed reading the part about his contempt for automatic chokes and how he would roll a cigarette while he would wait for the car to warm up with his choke disconnected. Fun reading then – still fun today! You won’t regret adding it to your collection.
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

:D I like the one when the red light comes on when your engine overheats.He tells you to jump in the backseat and take a nap til it cools down,better yet if you got a girl with you!
66vw,62vwtrike,71vw super project car and 73vw bus,and one sometimes understanding wife
motorheadkev

yes yes John Muir

Post by motorheadkev »

very funny book my copy (only 27 years old) has a brown cover or did it just fade to that cover.
this is a must have for any bug owner
i also have the Richards Rabbit Book when i got my first rabbit.
written by the same company since John passed before the Rabbit caught on.
good day
AdelaideBug

Post by AdelaideBug »

Heard a lot of good things about this book Hopefully it will help a total mron noob like me!
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

If it can help me it can help anyone! :lol:
SeeBlauKafer

Post by SeeBlauKafer »

I was also schooled in the 'College of Muir'. My Father bought this book back in '73 and I read it as a child. When the wire spiralbound pages finally came apart he glued new edges to them, punched new holes and re-threaded the spiral wire back through them!

There are hard spined and spiralbound versions of this book ... be careful to get the spiralbound version as it lays nice and flat while you're doing that valve adjustment, etc.

The illustrations are equally great ... love the "exploded parts view".
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

Ditto! I love the art work in general - I have often looked for posters of the art work in the book - some really clever drawings for sure.
elkluvadore

Post by elkluvadore »

one thing about this book, it is mainly mechanical, so if your looking for an all around book go with the haynes manuals, but the dummies book is far more entertaining to read, definiatley a must have
A volksie thanks,
Max
Blue Baron

The Pure Muir

Post by Blue Baron »

The later editions have more illustrations and extra chapters, but I prefer the early editions, or what I call the Pure Muir.

I suggest looking for a 1972 or earlier edition, before there was anything written on disc brakes, fuel injection, or even Type 3 VWs. (Muir thought the Type 3 was too "bourgeoise," but relented once they started filtering down to the proletariat.) I don't agree with him about throwing away the thermostat, and I laugh that he refuses to explain how to adjust the automatic choke, but I prefer the work as originally written. Altering it is like tampering with The Bible.
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

I agree - there is something about the early versions. I have no idea where my copy from the 70's went, but I sure would like to have it back!
phononocd

Post by phononocd »

I found my 1980 copy at an antique store before I even had my bug! The thing is falling apart and some of the pages are full of grease prints, but it still does it's job. I like the pic. of the guy in bed thinking of all the gears and mechanical tings while his wife sleeps!