New member/Another '66 Beetle rescued

Let's hear about your 1966 VW Beetle - How long have you owned it? What attracted you to this specific model year? what makes it unique? PLEASE - NO TECHNICAL OR MECHANICAL QUESTIONS IN THIS FORUM - PLEASE POST THEM IN THE TECHNICAL/MECHANICAL SECTION. Thanks John
rays66vw

New member/Another '66 Beetle rescued

Post by rays66vw »

Hello, new guy here! My best friend/boss Ray just got a '66 VW 1300 in Bahama Blue:

He got it for a bid of $1800 at the Los Angeles County public administrator estate auction last Saturday. According to the stack of old registrations we found in the glove box, it was a one-owner car purchased August 22, 1966 in East Los Angeles by Samuel G. Arellano whose previous vehicle was a 1958 Hillman Minx sedan. It was converted to 12 volt at some point, and has a Bendix Sapphire AM-FM radio. It has 90,246 miles and there are no dents or major rust except in the running boards. Last license sticker was 1997, but they got it started and it ran pretty well although the brakes aren't working. I'll find out more when it gets shipped here on Wednesday, and I'll post more photos.

Ray has a pretty large collection of cars, but this is his first Bug - he'd also like to get a '79 convertible someday.

I'll be checking out the forum a lot for restoration advice - many thanks to the administrators for all the info!

-Chris
jmartini
Administrator

Post by jmartini »

What a sweet deal - and a sweet looking car! It doesn't sound like it will need much work but make sure you get the valves adjusted and clean oil right away. Check the tank too - I'd drain it if it has gas in it and then inspect for rust. If no rust then go ahead and refill with clean gas. AND Welcome to the forum!
crazydaze

Post by crazydaze »

Looks an absolute bargain! Congatulations 8)

Alex.
fatalifeaten

Post by fatalifeaten »

That's a mighty good deal for 1800. :)
RobM

Post by RobM »

Great car/ great deal! :D
Blue Baron

Post by Blue Baron »

I agree. It's a screaming deal. That car puts off a vibe I can feel clean down to Florida. Congrats. :D